Limping chicken

Billie371

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I have a young pullet who has been limping around since Monday. She hops on the one leg and the other she kind of holds out in front of her. There are no obvious signs of breaks or bruises. When I touch her leg she doesn't mind. I have tried pinching her toes and she doesn't move them. I lightly wrapped her leg for support. She isn't getting picked on by the others so I have left her in the coop for now. She is eating and drinking fine. She is still roosting at night. Any ideas or suggestions of things I should do for her? Idk how to upload a video of her walking..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-06-11-33-21-33_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-06-11-33-21-33_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 33
Video needs to be uploaded to a platform like youtube, then you provide a link to the video.

Are you saying both legs are injured?

Okay I think I got it. No only the one leg is hurt she is just hopping on the other. Also I did check and she doesnt have bubble foot.

I usually leave an injured bird with their flock, but I'd consider crating her with her own food/water so she can rest her leg and be protected from the others.
If at all possible, leave her crate in the coop or run so she's near her flock.

Can you see a break, a bruise (green color) or an uneven place on her leg?

I'd check the wrappings daily to make sure it's not binding, cutting off circulation or causing damage.

I usually leave an injured bird with their flock, but I'd consider crating her with her own food/water so she can rest her leg and be protected from the others.

I'd check the wrappings daily to make sure it's not binding, cutting off circulation or causing damage.
She has been created in the coop with her own food and water since then. I also took the wrap off her leg and have just been letting her rest. So it will be 2 weeks tomorrow. She hasn't made any improvements. She is still limping the same. Could her leg or something be out of place? Is there anything else I could do for her?

Also there is no bruising or uneven places on her leg it looks the same as her other leg. I have felt up and down both legs and they feel the same. She doesn't care when I touch or move it or anything. When I pinching her toes or foot she doesn't move it.

If sprained or even fractured, it can take several weeks to heal.

But usually, you will see some improvement. How long did you keep the leg stabilized with wrap?
Okay I will keep her separated then and see if it starts to get better. I haven't seen any improvement she's limping the same exact way. I had her leg wrapped for probably four or five days.

Back
Top Bottom