Chicken limping but can’t find an injury

A88CB6D1-0F1C-4346-BD59-08353FADDBBB.jpeg C3340CA7-5BB2-4ADC-8ACB-F28C364AF42A.jpeg
She's pretty swollen... there may definitely be an infection lurking. The fact that she is not laying eggs at all is a concern. There should be something, even if it's not very regular. This breed, as rebrascora mentioned, is really prone to reproductive issues.

If she's got worms, I would treat for those first. The extra vitamins will help her, but I wonder if she might need antibiotics.

I think you may be correct. She laid a lash egg this morning. Not sure if I should try to treat her with antibiotics or just focus on making her as comfortable as I can for how ever long she has left.

I did feel that lash egg when I did the internal exam yesterday, but is was so small, I didn’t think it was anything .

Do I need to isolate her, or can she remain with her “sister”? She gets upset and paces when I isolate her, but I will do it if need be.

Can you check her vent area for any swelling.....feel it rather than just looking (feathers can hide such a lot) and compare against other chickens. When they are roosting at night, walking along behind them and "copping a feel" ;) makes the job easiest and enables a direct comparison from one chicken to the other. I cup my hand between heir legs and below their vent. I am thinking she may have a reproductive disorder which is putting pressure on her sciatic nerve. A red sex link hen not laying is always a red flag even if she is several years old. They should have enough follicles to last them into old age but they are unfortunately particularly prone to reproductive malfunction or disease once they get past 2 years, so when they stop laying it usually indicates a problem rather than a natural end to their fertility like menopause. These issues can rumble on for many months before it becomes obvious that there is a problem... hens are very stoic. How does her comb colour and texture compare to your other hens that are laying? Best to compare with other red sex links like her. If her comb is more or less the same colour and plump rather than dry and wizened, then the chances are she is still ovulating and those eggs are not coming out for some reason.... either impacted in her oviduct or internal laying. A plump red comb is caused by hormones and indicates that she is fertile and ovulating.
How long have you had her or how long do you know for sure she has not been laying?

[URL="https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg-oviduct-infection.1259412/#post-20209016"]Lash Egg- Oviduct Infection[/URL]

I did read your post of July 12 regarding lash eggs here on BYC. Do you know what the time frame is. The lash egg my bird laid was very small. Any chance of recovery?

View attachment 1474003 View attachment 1474004

I think you may be correct. She laid a lash egg this morning. Not sure if I should try to treat her with antibiotics or just focus on making her as comfortable as I can for how ever long she has left.

I did feel that lash egg when I did the internal exam yesterday, but is was so small, I didn’t think it was anything .

Do I need to isolate her, or can she remain with her “sister”? She gets upset and paces when I isolate her, but I will do it if need be.
Yeah, leave her with her sister. No sense adding stress. Is there a way for you to get a hold of some antibiotics? I have used this: (which is the active ingredient in Baytril) for peritonitis.
20180719_083602.jpg

The downside was the first hen I was too late in treating because I had to order it online from a rare/fancy bird place in Irvine, CA. ( my first birds were all golden sex links, the majority of whom had some reproductive issue or another, poor things. )

That does not look like a typical lash egg as it appears to be liquid inside, they are normally rubbery solid throughout with concentric layers like an onion of yellow and flesh coloured material, so this may be the early stages and a course of antibiotics might help. How long have you had her. It does concern me that she has not been laying for quite a while which suggests other things are going on.

I would not isolate her. Whilst some say that salpingitis can spread, I can think of no scientific means for it doing so and most chickens have the ailment for a long time before it is diagnosed anyway and it doesn't appear to infect other birds.

Is she walking any better now that she has passed that?

Also, for what it's worth, I rarely separate birds from the flock. :oops:
It really does cause them a ton of stress.
Of course, there are always cases of injury where pecking might ensue, or severe meducal needs that can't be met in an outdoor coop occur where there is no alternative. But usually in viral situations, by the time a chicken "lets on" that they're sick, they've already spread it to everyone.
In your case, I don't think she's any risk to your flock, just watch her for signs she's being bullied or hurt by the others. :)

Yeah, leave her with her sister. No sense adding stress. Is there a way for you to get a hold of some antibiotics? I have used this: (which is the active ingredient in Baytril) for peritonitis.
View attachment 1474021
The downside was the first hen I was too late in treating because I had to order it online from a rare/fancy bird place in Irvine, CA. ( my first birds were all golden sex links, the majority of whom had some reproductive issue or another, poor things. )
I have not been able to find this without a prescription. Still searching though.

Back
Top Bottom