Chicken limping help!!!!!!!

Rileychickens

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2018
a year ago i adopted a warren called Mrs Melon. I dont know her age but she is probably around 2 or 3 years old.she has been fine up until a couple of weeks ago when she started to slow down and limp i have tried everywhere to find a cure but cannot find one. her leg is turning in and every time she walks she limps and she holds herself up with her wing if she cant manage to walk. i had a warren in the past thats leg turned in and she limped everywhere and died quickly. i really dont want to lose her. her breast bone is very sharp but she is eating and drinking fine. i think she must have done something to her hip but i am really not sure. i have felt her legs but nothing felt odd. please someone help!!!

It could be something as simple as a B vitamin deficiency or something as serious as an avian virus. I would lean toward suspecting the second since you say a hen died previously after exhibiting similar symptoms.

You can give B-complex vitamins, maybe toss in some vitamin E oil for good measure, and see if that improves her leg. But if it's a virus, there is no treatment or cure since it would be tumors causing it.

Another cause of lameness is neurotoxin poisoning. Examine the surrounding grounds for contaminated soil where your chickens range. A machine leaking fluids onto the soil can cause poisoning when a chicken picks up contaminated grit. You can try to treat it but once the brain is damaged, it's usually not reversible. If you suspect this hen may have gotten poisoned in this manner, I can tell you how to go about treating her.

Back
Top Bottom