CHICKEN LIMPING HELP

chickenrescuer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
I just noticed my rescue chicken limping. She doesn't have a wound so I am unable to figure out what's wrong. She does have pretty messed up feet because she was a rescue chicken but was never limping. Any ideas??? Thank you

I think BayBay Peepers means an egg factory - as in an intensive chicken rearing facility.

It took me a while to work it out as well!
tongue.png

Those pretty messed up feet are not because she's a rescue chicken, they're because she has a health issue. Likely bumblefoot or scaly leg mite, or both. Either one of those can be fatal, both can be very painful, even crippling. But both are usually pretty straightforward and easy to treat. Photos will identify which it is, or whether both are present.

Best wishes with her.

Here's a terrible picture. I'm thinking she might have arthritis because she was in a cage for so long...

If she's limping, she could have broken her leg or she could have arthritis. How long are her toenails? They look like they are pretty long and could be causing pain. I would recommend clipping them if they're very long.

How long has she been with you? I'm guessing she's relatively young (could be wrong let me know). Try giving her some extra vitamins. If her skin is dry and scaly you could try putting some olive oil on her legs. It will suffocate any mites that may be there and help moisten the skin. Like stated above if her nails are really, really long you could try clipping them. If you're feeling extra ambitious you could gently massage her legs and help her relax. (maybe even a warm bath and a blow dry after)

How long has she been with you?  I'm guessing she's relatively young (could be wrong let me know).  Try giving her some extra vitamins.  If her skin is dry and scaly you could try putting some olive oil on her legs.  It will suffocate any mites that may be there and help moisten the skin.  Like stated above if her nails are really, really long you could try clipping them.  If you're feeling extra ambitious you could gently massage her legs and help her relax.  (maybe even a warm bath and a blow dry after)

She's about two years old. I will try that. It seems like the most possible diagnosis.

Often times a hen from that situation is going to need extra vitamins. It's not usually at the top of the list for egg plants or where ever you received her from to give quality feed. If you don't see an injury like a broken leg or something I would start with the food. Give her a boost, clean her up, and take it slow. She's probably not going to be cured over night, but she's in good hands and I'm sure she'll appreciate the extra attention :)

Here's a terrible picture. I'm thinking she might have arthritis because she was in a cage for so long...

Those large dark lumps along the toes, are they just dirt or scabs? Cage floors can cause some nasty wounds.

Her nails do look too long, and one of her toes looks swollen but it might be the camera. I don't see obvious bumblefoot or scaly leg mite, certainly not of the levels that would be causing her to limp. Some purebreds have joint and/or muscle atrophy or necrosis issues due to lack of circulation, it's more due to genetics than anything else so a good environment and diet can't necessarily stave that off, but given her age I don't think that's overly likely here, it seems to be early onset.

Extra nutrition is pretty much always a good idea, and in the rare cases where it's not the issue is so complicated it's not worth a newbie's worry and effort, lol! Way too difficult for most to be able to treat those rare cases, requires a lot of time, experience, knowledge and resources...

If she has recently gone to living in a cage or environment where she has access to perches or things to climb on and jump down from, which she didn't have in the last place, in such circumstances many hens have not learned anything much about heights and won't break their fall using their wings, they will land flat-footed from great heights. Naturally that can do some damage, particularly to joints. Could possibly be that.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom