Chicken limping on left foot, no other abnormal symptoms

susannalynnwilds

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2021
Hi there. I'm new to this site and am hoping I can get some helpful information. Yesterday morning I noticed one of my chickens limping on her left foot. I checked for signs of infection and swelling, but everything looks and feels normal. She is eating, drinking, and laying eggs as usual. I have not found any signs of bumblefoot either. She seems to be in good spirits, just limping around. I am wondering if this could be a sprain, muscle injury, or strain? My husband and I recently clipped her wings, and I am wondering if she had a poor landing after perching/roosting, and possibly sprained her leg? Any advice or experience with this is welcome. Like I said, there are no other symptoms and it doesn't appear to be infected. Are sprains common with chickens, and can they heal on their own? She is almost 6 months old now.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
She is eating, drinking, and laying eggs as usual.
I don't worry about a chicken that is doing this. She may have twisted it, or stumbled or landed hard. It will heal on it's own more than likely.

Oh, welcome to this site, it is a lot of fun having chickens, and all of these people understand!

Mrs K

I don't worry about a chicken that is doing this. She may have twisted it, or stumbled or landed hard. It will heal on it's own more than likely.

Oh, welcome to this site, it is a lot of fun having chickens, and all of these people understand!

Mrs K
Thank you so much for your response! Very encouraging. I'm already feeling better about our girl.

Is it a feather-legged breed? Sometimes a foot-feather comes in wonky that causes them to limp. She also totally could've botched a landing after not realizing her wings wouldn't work the same way. Those limps can definitely resolve on their own. The fact that she's still laying is a great sign she's not being too inconvenienced by it.

Is it a feather-legged breed? Sometimes a foot-feather comes in wonky that causes them to limp. She also totally could've botched a landing after not realizing her wings wouldn't work the same way. Those limps can definitely resolve on their own. The fact that she's still laying is a great sign she's not being too inconvenienced by it.
She is a Rhode Island Red. I think it was a botched landing.. almost certain.. that is the hope anyway. She produced another perfect egg for us today, and is still acting normal aside from the limp. Hoping it heals on its own very soon. Thank you so much for your helpful and encouraging response!

I am wondering if this could be a sprain, muscle injury, or strain? Any advice or experience with this is welcome. Like I said, there are no other symptoms and it doesn't appear to be infected. Are sprains common with chickens, and can they heal on their own?
Yep, it can happen.
They'll heal on their own, but it can take weeks for the limp to be totally gone.

If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

+1 on aart's recommendations.
Keeping her in the crate also prevents jumping that can exacerbate the issue.
Yep, it can happen.
They'll heal on their own, but it can take weeks for the limp to be totally gone.

If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Thank you so much!! This is very helpful info!! As it stands she is still limping but carrying on with normal activities as usual. I will continue to monitor her and if it seems like she is getting worse, I will utilize the crate tactic. Luckily we have one just like you described. Thank you again!!

Back
Top Bottom