Chicken limping on one leg

Camellia

Songster
May 14, 2019
Hi,so I have a 4-month-old rooster (?) who has been limping on his right leg since yesterday. Another chicken had the same issue and died last week. I'm not sure how this happened. He doesn't have leg mites or bumble foot. Could he have sprained his leg from jumping off a roost? Thanks.
98800ED3-A0A3-451C-BB7A-866E38F620B2.jpeg

Hi,so I have a 4-month-old rooster (?) who has been limping on his right leg since yesterday. Another chicken had the same issue and died last week. I'm not sure how this happened. He doesn't have leg mites or bumble foot. Could he have sprained his leg from jumping off a roost? Thanks.View attachment 2405033
What do you feed your birds, including treats?
Is he pooping?
Vaccinated for Marek's?

Any chance he could have gotten into anything toxic - weed killer, fertilizer, spilled oil, rat poison or eaten moldy or rotten feed?

Marek's disease comes to mind. You can try vitamin therapy to see if that helps. Give him 1/2 tablet B-Complex once a day for a couple of weeks. Ensure that he is eating well and drinking.
If you lose him, then having a necropsy would give you the best answers to what is happening within your flock.

What do you feed your birds, including treats?
Is he pooping?
Vaccinated for Marek's?

Any chance he could have gotten into anything toxic - weed killer, fertilizer, spilled oil, rat poison or eaten moldy or rotten feed?

Marek's disease comes to mind. You can try vitamin therapy to see if that helps. Give him 1/2 tablet B-Complex once a day for a couple of weeks. Ensure that he is eating well and drinking.
If you lose him, then having a necropsy would give you the best answers to what is happening within your flock.
He isn’t vaccinated but other flock members are. I feed him chicken feed made by a local farmer.. maybe it’s contaminated. He is pooping, drinking, and eating fine

@Wyorp Rock

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom