Chicken limping - possibly attacked by hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilje, Oct 27, 2010.

1. lilje

lilje Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    One of my chickens is limping really badly. I have tried to catch her, but she takes off across the yard hopping like crazy. She can go pretty fast for using only one leg.
    I had a lot of commotion in my yard this morning and I heard a high pitched sound from a bird. When I ran out to the yard there was a Coopers Hawk flying above my head. It landed on the telephone wires and sat staring at me. It eventually left and I was able to locate all of my birds. I have been assured that a Coopers Hawk is not big enough to carry off one of my chickens, but I think it may have landed on the one who is limping. They are all still terrified hours later. They are running away from me and I usually am greeted by the whole group every time I go out the back door. I've tried luring them with food, etc. I really need to get a look at her bad leg to see what's going on, but I don't want to upset her any more than she already is. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Either throw some scratch or wait until she roosts. Good luck!

3. lilje

lilje Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks, I was able to get her finally. Once I was able to pick her up, all the other hens decided it was okay to come back out into the yard. I examined her foot and leg and could not find any injury that was visible to my eye. She is still limping badly today. I don't think anything is broken. Her leg looks pretty normal. She does curl her foot up though when it's off the ground. I don't know if that's a sign that the issue is in her foot. I imagine she must be in some pain. I would like to treat her, but I'm not sure whether or not to give her aspirin. Should I confine her to keep her from hopping around the yard? Does anyone have any experience with something like this. I just don't know what to do for her.
    Thanks

4. grammaschicks

grammaschicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    I had a chicken that had a piece of heavy wood dropped on her foot (accidentally by grandson) and limped around for days. I really thought her foot was broken, but couldn't see anything wrong. It took about 3 weeks of hobbling around, but now she is just fine and crabby as usual.

5. lilje

lilje Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Thank you for the reply. It makes me feel a bit better to know that the limping should go away. This is my first experience with an injury and she is my favorite girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by