Chicken limping - possibly attacked by hawk

lilje

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
One of my chickens is limping really badly. I have tried to catch her, but she takes off across the yard hopping like crazy. She can go pretty fast for using only one leg.
I had a lot of commotion in my yard this morning and I heard a high pitched sound from a bird. When I ran out to the yard there was a Coopers Hawk flying above my head. It landed on the telephone wires and sat staring at me. It eventually left and I was able to locate all of my birds. I have been assured that a Coopers Hawk is not big enough to carry off one of my chickens, but I think it may have landed on the one who is limping. They are all still terrified hours later. They are running away from me and I usually am greeted by the whole group every time I go out the back door. I've tried luring them with food, etc. I really need to get a look at her bad leg to see what's going on, but I don't want to upset her any more than she already is. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Thanks, I was able to get her finally. Once I was able to pick her up, all the other hens decided it was okay to come back out into the yard. I examined her foot and leg and could not find any injury that was visible to my eye. She is still limping badly today. I don't think anything is broken. Her leg looks pretty normal. She does curl her foot up though when it's off the ground. I don't know if that's a sign that the issue is in her foot. I imagine she must be in some pain. I would like to treat her, but I'm not sure whether or not to give her aspirin. Should I confine her to keep her from hopping around the yard? Does anyone have any experience with something like this. I just don't know what to do for her.
Thanks

I had a chicken that had a piece of heavy wood dropped on her foot (accidentally by grandson) and limped around for days. I really thought her foot was broken, but couldn't see anything wrong. It took about 3 weeks of hobbling around, but now she is just fine and crabby as usual.

Thank you for the reply. It makes me feel a bit better to know that the limping should go away. This is my first experience with an injury and she is my favorite girl.

Back
Top Bottom