1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken limping with no cause?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenSahib, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    So one of my RIR's is limping. I have no clue why. There doesn't seem to be an attack. Although I heard a scream earlier today, i don't know why she's limping. What would be the course of treatment? My father says that'll she'll heal on her own.

Any ideas?

Just been poking around, what kind of limp characterizes Mareks (Although I'm sure my hens were vaccinated).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    might not be maericks,but a sprang leg or toe.Had hens with this.They healed after a couple of weeks.Still have them,and they are fine and dandy now.

3. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Any chance of bumble foot? I would inspect the soles of her feet and see if she stepped on something to puncture her feet and see if there is a start to something [​IMG]

Best Wishes and Hope she feels better soon [​IMG]
    Quote:

4. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Okay, I interrogated a couple of the family members.... It turns out my younger brother decided to chase one of the hens and stepped on one! At least I know it's not a disease or anything of the like.

Hopefully, she'll heal with time [​IMG]

5. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Sorry to hear the poor hen has a bum foot but as you said I'm glad it's not a disease as you said [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by