Chicken litter compost?

Quote:
I agree with you about the toil part.
thumbsup.gif
I don't do it often myself, but I have no problem telling other people that they should.
lol.png
When I do turn it, I use the tiller and the robins line up for the worms that get exposed.

I am moving a pile that has passively sat for 2 years now. It is very nice black gold. I also made a tumbler for a quicker turn-around now that I have chicken litter to content with.

Exactly. Let the tiller do the work.

If the manure and clippings are moved ONCE, which is directly into the garden, that eliminates a step. Instead of putting compost to the pile, and then later to the garden, which is 2 steps.

Then, if you till twice per year, the manure, clippings, etc., have "aged" in place. Tilling it into the garden, then eliminates the "toil" of turning a the compost pile.

~ Kla Ha Ya, the lazy gardener (but a thinking one).
wink.png

X2 I only compost in the garden itself. From October through April, chicken litter goes on direct. During the growing season, May-September, it just gets piled up at the end of the garden to be spread in fall, along with the leaves. Easy.

Quote:
The newspaper/shredded paper/cardboard method (I prefer the first two) combined with the manure (nitrogen)/straw/shavings/shredded paper (carbon) that then has grass clippings heaped on up to 12 inches makes a "hot compost" in place. The steaming grass clippings says it all. Breakdown is quick this way.

If this method interests you, but you don't the grass clippings available, call a local professional lawn mowing service and ask them to bring you the clippings. They can dump them in a pile on a tarp near your garden, and away you go!

Quote:
The newspaper/shredded paper/cardboard method (I prefer the first two) combined with the manure (nitrogen)/straw/shavings/shredded paper (carbon) that then has grass clippings heaped on up to 12 inches makes a "hot compost" in place. The steaming grass clippings says it all. Breakdown is quick this way.

If this method interests you, but you don't the grass clippings available, call a local professional lawn mowing service and ask them to bring you the clippings. They can dump them in a pile on a tarp near your garden, and away you go!

This is a great thread.I hope I will be able to grow some crops this year and put to use some of these ideals.
clap.gif

I only have "tiny" places that I can use but I hope this year the weather and my health will co-operate unlike last year.
barnie.gif

Just this morning I bought 10 8"x6" timbers. I hope to be able to build up a small area that has a huge pile of combo rabbit/chicken manure that I put there last fall. At least I have high hopes if nothing else.
cool.png

Hot composting is the way to go. When I took my Master Composter class, they told me that you can't hot compost in the back yard. I've taken temps at 145' here in Michigan, in my back yard.

Composting can take on many methods. You need to adapt for your needs and the space that you have available.

If you are reading this thread, I'm guessing that you have some reason for reducing, re-using and recycling. I'm also guessing that you care about your environment and want to make it better. Check with your county Extension Office for tips that work in your area.

Stepping down from my soapbox now...
big_smile.png

Quote:
What was the reason given for not being able to hot compost in the back yard? We've done it for years. And it rains her a lot; one might think it's difficult to do, but it's easy. So, i don't understand why they say it can't be done.

BTW, I've never taken a composting class. I've just composted for over 40 years.

The instructor said that you needed huge piles to generate and retain the heat. When I said that wasn't quite true, she all but called me a liar. What can you expect from city kids?

I've been gardening and composting for years, but I like to take classes and seminars to see what new ideas are developing and to see what crap some people are teaching.

I have 10 hens that are about 13 weeks old, they are in an A frame, would it help to put them in the compost pile?

Quote:
They would do a fine job turning the compost pile. Of course you'll probably have to re-pile after they got done scattering it all over.

So would it help my plants to add compost around the base of each one of them (maters, squash, okra, corn, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom