CHICKEN LITTER

Alexxxx88

Chirping
Apr 19, 2022
Veneto, Italy
Hi, I'm writing from north italy, so I hope to write correctly in english because I will translate some "farmer" slang to english.

I have a chest (used as litier) in my chicken coop that can be pulled out like a drawer.
I put ash from my pellet stove and some sand from my garden, then on top of the wood shavings. Do you think it is correct as I did?
Also I wanted to ask you if I can make permanent litter and how to do it and change it once a year or if I have to do it in another way and empty it every week.
Thanks you in advance :)

Are you using the dresser as a nesting place? And it the litter for the nest sites? If so, then it sounds okay. Nesting boxes don't get to dirty unless one of the birds is sleeping in it. You may have to change it every two or so months but it's not that bad.

I'm writing from north italy, so I hope to write correctly in english because I will translate some "farmer" slang to english.

:welcome Welcome to the BYC community!

I was stationed in Naples, Italy for a few years way back in the 1990's. Love Italy. Good to hear from you.

I have a chest (used as litier) in my chicken coop that can be pulled out like a drawer.
I put ash from my pellet stove and some sand from my garden, then on top of the wood shavings. Do you think it is correct as I did?

If you have one of those small coops with a pull out drawer to clean out the coop, then I think you are stuck having to clean it out regularly on maybe at least a weekly basis. Those pull out drawers, in the smaller coops, are not designed to hold deep litter or deep bedding.

I use wood chips and paper shreds in my coop, but I use a dry deep bedding system and my coop litter can get up to 12 inches deep. I don't imagine you have the option if you have a pull out drawer cleaning system. Sounds like your ash, sand, and wood chips litter would work for you.

Also I wanted to ask you if I can make permanent litter and how to do it and change it once a year or if I have to do it in another way and empty it every week.
Thanks you in advance :)

In my coop, I use dry deep bedding. I start off late in the fall with 3-4 inches of wood chips (this year I'm using paper shreds) and I will add fresh litter throughout the winter. By springtime, I might have up to 12 inches of litter in the coop. But my coop was designed to hold 12 inches of bedding. At any rate, with a deep litter or deep bedding setup you can get by with once or twice a year cleaning. If you have a shallow 1-2 inch deep pull out drawer for cleaning, I don't think you will be able to find litter that will last one year between cleanings.

It might help if you uploaded a picture of your coop setup. Someone might have a similar setup and could give you better advice.

:welcome Welcome to the BYC community!

I was stationed in Naples, Italy for a few years way back in the 1990's. Love Italy. Good to hear from you.

If you have one of those small coops with a pull out drawer to clean out the coop, then I think you are stuck having to clean it out regularly on maybe at least a weekly basis. Those pull out drawers, in the smaller coops, are not designed to hold deep litter or deep bedding.

I use wood chips and paper shreds in my coop, but I use a dry deep bedding system and my coop litter can get up to 12 inches deep. I don't imagine you have the option if you have a pull out drawer cleaning system. Sounds like your ash, sand, and wood chips litter would work for you.

In my coop, I use dry deep bedding. I start off late in the fall with 3-4 inches of wood chips (this year I'm using paper shreds) and I will add fresh litter throughout the winter. By springtime, I might have up to 12 inches of litter in the coop. But my coop was designed to hold 12 inches of bedding. At any rate, with a deep litter or deep bedding setup you can get by with once or twice a year cleaning. If you have a shallow 1-2 inch deep pull out drawer for cleaning, I don't think you will be able to find litter that will last one year between cleanings.

It might help if you uploaded a picture of your coop setup. Someone might have a similar setup and could give you better advice.
Thanks you.
I have a similar coop with same litter

like this

Attachments

• IMG-7831.jpg
    IMG-7831.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom