Chicken looks like a white fur ball... not sure what is wrong

motherochickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Maple Valley, WA
This chicken is the same age as my others (about 5 months old) - but has always been much smaller. I feel like I've seen her eating and drinking and she doesn't have any other visual things out of place, but for a while now (not sure how long, maybe a week or more) one of my chickens has been standing and laying down like this... a white fur ball with a beak sticking out. She doesn't seem to be in pain... but the others don't do this.

Any suggestions? Is she fine? Is she egg-bound? None of my chickens have layed an egg yet and are not on layer-feed yet.

I'm worried... any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I would say from the pose she's in quite a bit of discomfort/pain. Or very ill. Definitely not egg bound, from the sexual development her crest shows she's still quite immature. Whatever's wrong is making her quite unhappy. Best to try to diagnose rather than cull because the others might be at risk too.

The usual questions, always good to know: what's her poop look like? How skinny is she? Does she try to run from you or put up a weak escape attempt, assuming she's not well handled? If you feel her breastbone and your thumb and finger are paralell to eachother, you can safely say whatever her problem is it's caused wasting. If she's normal or plump still, the soup thickens... Generally when trying to diagnose a chicken, checking the poop will often save you a world of time and confusion.

Sorry I can't offer much help, often you will never find out what exactly was wrong. Please let us know how it goes. I don't think I've seen a chook look so hunched before. But I have seen many recover from horrific illnesses or injuries, so have hope! All the best.

In many places; government agricultural services will perform a necropsy for free. They get grants specifically for poultry observation and necropsy to be on the look out for avian flu. Even if they're 100% positive avian flu isn't the culprit, they'll do the necropsy for you. Part of an initiative to encourage chicken owners to submit their birds for necropsy in case of the flu. Call your extension and they can likely forward you to the office that can do it. Fresher specimens make for better necropsy.

I am very sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom