Chicken looks sad. What do you think it is?

Jun 9, 2021
I noticed one of my hens looking off today. No idea if she has eaten or drank any water. What do you guys think is up based on the pictures? My other hen has been pecking her a lot. I think this one may be sick. How can I help her?

Edit- I quarantined her from the other one I have. I’m 99% sure she is sick. How can I help her? Is there something at tractor supply I can pick up? Vet isn’t an option.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
All the photos tell us is that this hen doesn't feel well. But if it's one action you can take to try to help her it would be to encourage her to drink some sugar water. It would be a start to be able to rule out something simple like weakness from not eating enough or suffering a mild case of hypothermia. Add one teaspoon sugar to one cup water and dip her beak in it to get her started.

Check her crop to see if it's abnormally full. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Check her poop and if it doesn't look normal, take a photo and post it.

What is your location?
What is the hen's recent laying history? Normal eggs or shell problems?
What is her age?

Has she been wormed recently? Many of our FL members report having to worm more often in their area. Valbazen is very good, and Safeguard liquid goat wormer may be a little easier to find in your feed store. I can give dosages. I agree that water with sugar or electrolytes, or plain water after a dose of Poultry NutriDrench would be helpful. Even gatorade can be used. A small mushy wet bowl of chicken feed can also be offered along with a few bits of scrambled egg.

Look her over for mites or lice under her vent and belly, and check her crop again in early morning when the crop should normally be empty and flat. Is her crop firm, doughy, or puffy soft right now? Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to feel for a stuck egg or mass?

doughy. ill do the glove thing when I have time later today. Would save chick probiotics or electrolytes help?
Yes, SaveAChick electrolytes with vitamins is fine. With a doughy crop, you can offer some small pieces of chilled coconut oil cut into peckable pieces, up to a tsp daily. Then massage her crop several times a day to try and break up any doughy mass. Check it again in early morning before she eats or drinks.

She isn’t walking or moving her head up when I dipped her beak into the save a chick water.I’m worried. Is there anything else I can do?

Do you possess an oral syringe? If not, ask for one from your nearest pharmacy. They are usually free for the asking. Then warm up the Save-a-chick and start giving the fluids as this photo shows.

The airway is the hole in the center of the throat behind the tongue. Avoid that by sliding the syringe into the chicken's right side of the beak, going slightly under the tongue and then into the esophagus. If the chicken coughs, you're trying to put it in the wrong hole.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom