Chicken loosing A LOT of Feathers and Acting Strange

ChristopherMic

The Poultry Guy
Apr 2, 2016
New York
Hi, I have a 4 year old hen that has been loosing a lot of feathers and acting different then usual. Usually, I'll give my chickens a treat and throw some bread to them and she will start running fast to get the bread, but now she doesn't run at all and usually just walks. Also, when she eats, she will kneel down to get the food and she has never done that before. Could this be just Molting?

The loss of feathers my first thought that came to mind was molting, but don't know about the other symptoms

Probably molting and she may be a little run down if she's loosing so many feathers extra protein helps it takes a lot out of them when they molt there's feather booster and vitamins at feed stores or u could try mealworms or scrambled eggs

Probably molting and she may be a little run down if she's loosing so many feathers extra protein helps it takes a lot out of them when they molt there's feather booster and vitamins at feed stores or u could try mealworms or scrambled eggs

The loss of feathers my first thought that came to mind was molting, but don't know about the other symptoms
Thank you both!

Hey, I'm new on here and a first chicken owner. I have a 4 week old chicken that is part agriculture project for my son and hopefully a laying hen for us. I've had it for 3 weeks now and I know nothing about it other than it could be this or that. Sigh
1f644.png
Now to my main issue(s) It's been doing great until Monday. It started with diarrhea, which I chalked up to changing its food. Tuesday: I'm pretty sure it was nearly dead. It was seriously swollen but no vent issues. Wasn't moving, wouldn't let me touch him/her and had the "death look" I read the entire day on everything I could find on what it may or may not be. So here's what I've been doing: Oregano, Cinnamon and garlic to take care of internal issues. Garlic spray for outer issues. I even tried olive oil for constipation because now suddenly it's not going. Wednesday: The chicken seems like normal other than lost feathers. Happy, playful etc. Today: Nearly bald, it's stretching out its legs and does not want to be touched. To be honest, I'm beyond stressed out. I feel like a new parent all over again! Against my better judgement haha, I like it (not a clue if its male or female)...So any clues on what I'm dealing with here? I'd appreciate any help or directions on what I'm doing or not doing right. This chicken will not break me!
1f612.png

Hey, I'm new on here and a first chicken owner. I have a 4 week old chicken that is part agriculture project for my son and hopefully a laying hen for us. I've had it for 3 weeks now and I know nothing about it other than it could be this or that. Sigh
1f644.png
Now to my main issue(s) It's been doing great until Monday. It started with diarrhea, which I chalked up to changing its food. Tuesday: I'm pretty sure it was nearly dead. It was seriously swollen but no vent issues. Wasn't moving, wouldn't let me touch him/her and had the "death look" I read the entire day on everything I could find on what it may or may not be. So here's what I've been doing: Oregano, Cinnamon and garlic to take care of internal issues. Garlic spray for outer issues. I even tried olive oil for constipation because now suddenly it's not going. Wednesday: The chicken seems like normal other than lost feathers. Happy, playful etc. Today: Nearly bald, it's stretching out its legs and does not want to be touched. To be honest, I'm beyond stressed out. I feel like a new parent all over again! Against my better judgement haha, I like it (not a clue if its male or female)...So any clues on what I'm dealing with here? I'd appreciate any help or directions on what I'm doing or not doing right. This chicken will not break me!
1f612.png

Can u maybe post pic or video? It's hard to say , chicks around that age can have very sparse feathers it's when they are losing baby and getting "real " feathers as for the rest I might be inclined to say mereks?? Is it stretching its legs out and having a hard time or unable to walk?

Sorry I've been so busy, but my chick is doing really well now. I really want to say that it was in some type of a transitional stage. In the past week, it's grown a lot, it's seems to be just changing overnight. He looks like a mini chicken now instead of a baby. Crazy! Anyway, Thank you for offering to help me! If he/she starts to act up again I will definitely be back to ask more questions. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom