Chicken loosing feathers after broodiness

Sep 27, 2020
Northern California
So my chicken was broody for a long time. I’m talking like a few months. I recent,y gave in and put her in a little “ broody resort”, a comfy part of the run sectioned off. I was hesitant to do the whole broody jail thing, which I understand can be nesscary, but as she’s a pet, I didn’t want to lose her trust. So I did a less harsh version. After a few days, she came out of it. I noticed yesterday that under her spot in the roosts, and just around, she was loosing a lot of fluffy down feather, when she shook, eat. They just seem to be loose. Is this early molting?

You my ee malted after being broody. As soon as she got her feathers back she laid here first egg since being broody then promptly mooved out of her coop into another and sat on someone else's eggs. ( so we put some cemani eggs under her lol)

It is likely a result of being broody so long. You could call it an early molt but it is a severe degrading of body condition. You are lucky she is still alive.
A friend of mine never broke broodiness in her birds. She had a turkey hen that sat for months till the hen really had trouble moving. After $3,000 of vet bills (with her 60% discount as a former employee), and 3 weeks of physical therapy, including swimming, the turkey hen died. I buried it for her.
Sometimes they break broodiness on their own, sometimes the inadequate antics of owners, miraculously end the broodiness and sometimes they never stop.
They want to raise a family and in nature, they would do so. But with backyard flocks, if we aren't going to give them fertile eggs or chicks, it is our responsibility to end the hormone cycle for the birds' own good.
You may consider placing a hen in broody jail, something that has been done for the benefit of the bird for centuries, to be a risk for losing her trust, it is the fastest tried and true method of saving the bird.
IMHO, anthropomorphising chickens isn't good animal husbandry. As ,much as we may love them, they are still livestock that we have accepted the responsibility to care for to the best of our ability.

It is likely a result of being broody so long. You could call it an early molt but it is a severe degrading of body condition. You are lucky she is still alive.
A friend of mine never broke broodiness in her birds. She had a turkey hen that sat for months till the hen really had trouble moving. After $3,000 of vet bills (with her 60% discount as a former employee), and 3 weeks of physical therapy, including swimming, the turkey hen died. I buried it for her.
Sometimes they break broodiness on their own, sometimes the inadequate antics of owners, miraculously end the broodiness and sometimes they never stop.
They want to raise a family and in nature, they would do so. But with backyard flocks, if we aren't going to give them fertile eggs or chicks, it is our responsibility to end the hormone cycle for the birds' own good.
You may consider placing a hen in broody jail, something that has been done for the benefit of the bird for centuries, to be a risk for losing her trust, it is the fastest tried and true method of saving the bird.
IMHO, anthropomorphising chickens isn't good animal husbandry. As ,much as we may love them
IMHO, anthropomorphising chickens isn't good animal husbandry. As ,much as we may love them, they are still livestock that we have accepted the responsibility to care for to the best of our ability.
yes next
, they are still livestock that we have accepted the responsibility to care for to the best of our ability
Yes I will definitely take action earlier next time. I didn’t clarify that as soon as my other girls laid, I did lock her out of the coop, so she was out eating and drinking for longer, which I why I assume she did so well.

Yes I will definitely take action earlier next time. I didn’t clarify that as soon as my other girls laid, I did lock her out of the coop, so she was out eating and drinking for longer, which I why I assume she did so well.
I also wouldn’t hesitate to put her in broody jail if she showed any signs of her health getting worse (weight loss, lethargy, trouble moving, eating, ect.)

Back
Top Bottom