Chicken loosing feathers and walking sideways

Soto Hobby Farm

Chirping
Mar 25, 2018
Victoria, BC, Canada
Hey there

I’d love some help! I have a a white leghorn (I think) who is about a year old. She started loosing her feathers on her bum and back early summer. I checked her for mites and did a deep clean of the barn and treated her with de numerous times. But her feathers just wouldn’t grow back and the other chickens were pecking her. So I bought her an apron and she’s been eating it since August. Adjusted easily to it and is still wearing it. Nothing changed. Then last week I had a busy week and was only getting to the coop in the evening when it was already dark. They have a barn and outdoor pen so have lots of freedom and a waterer so always have good and water. So on Saturday when I was finally able to let them out into the yard I noticed her feathers are now all spiney with no feather on them. And she’s walking sideways... not a lump or leg injury but more like a brain issue. Although when I threw scratch down she came running straight. She’s always the first to greet me and runs to me as soon as she sees me but not this weekend. Sad to see her like this I think she’s dieing:(

I’ll try and attach a picture tomorrow. I thought I got a good pic today but it’s not there now so I’ll try again tomorrow. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Thank you.

We can see some strange actions from molting chickens. I had always read about chickens with wry neck or neurological symptoms could walk backwards or in circles. I finally witnessed one of my own chickens doing the moon walk for just a short period of time. It never happened again. Hopefully, it was just a one time thing with your chicken walking sideways, but just keep an eye at for her. Did you actually see mites or lice on her? Make sure that the others are not pecking her feathers as they grow back. If you can post a couple of pictures of the broken off feathers we might be able to tell more.

Thank you all for your responses. I will try and get a picture tomorrow. She isn’t interested in me getting very close to her right now so hard to check but in the passed I haven’t seen any bugs or mites on her. They do look like pin feathers but I’m not sure they are because it looks like she’s missing much more that she was a week ago. And the others aren’t looking like her. Some are loosing a few feathers but nothing at all compared to her. I’ll post a pic tomorrow

All chickens molt at different stages, and certain circumstance can even trigger a molt out of season. Sometimes the same chicken will molt differently each year, maybe losing neck and butt feathers first, or wing and back feathers first the next time. Some drop all their feathers at once, or it can be so gradual it's hardly noticeable.

But when the pin feathers are coming in, they can be very painful if touched and it's recommended to handle them as little as possible during that time. Is she still wearing the apron? It could be quite uncomfortable if rubbing against her growing feathers and might be causing her to walk different.

I have one girl that always molts so much worse than the others. Yesterday morning I went to let them out and it looked like a chicken exploded in the coop there were so many feathers... just from one bird! She gets very shy during this time and often doesn't even want to leave the coop, it's like she's embarrassed or just really miserable, but she'll come out for treats. This pic is from last year:
20181018_170849.jpg

Hopefully your girl is just having a rough molt and will get though it in a couple/few weeks. It may help to feed her some extra protein to get those feathers regrowing... cooked eggs, sunflower seeds, tuna fish or meat scraps in moderation. Please do let us know if she continues to walk abnormally.

Back
Top Bottom