Chicken loss and grieving

mullys

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2011
Is there a thread for this? I realize that many people keep chickens to eat or otherwise use. We keep our girls to enjoy and care for and eat whatever eggs they leave. Perhaps we shouldn't have hens. Maybe we are too "soft". We lost another hen yesterday. We lose one or two a year. None of our hens live longer than 7 years, most have lived only 3. The last one that died was being treated at a chicken vet. There was a necropsy done after she was euthanized but no test for virus. She believed that our hen had IB. We don't know how long we've had it or who brought it in. It explained most of the symptoms and our flock health. We generally buy two hens per year from the same breeder. I rescued three at different times from the shelter I worked at.
We were told the best plan is to wait until our girls are all dead then disinfect thoroughly and buy a flock from the same source. We don't think that we will want chickens anymore by that time. Has anyone else had this kind of experience, any wisdom for us. We are incredibly sad and feel like failures.

Is there a thread for this? I realize that many people keep chickens to eat or otherwise use. We keep our girls to enjoy and care for and eat whatever eggs they leave. Perhaps we shouldn't have hens. Maybe we are too "soft". We lost another hen yesterday. We lose one or two a year. None of our hens live longer than 7 years, most have lived only 3. The last one that died was being treated at a chicken vet. There was a necropsy done after she was euthanized but no test for virus. She believed that our hen had IB. We don't know how long we've had it or who brought it in. It explained most of the symptoms and our flock health. We generally buy two hens per year from the same breeder. I rescued three at different times from the shelter I worked at.
We were told the best plan is to wait until our girls are all dead then disinfect thoroughly and buy a flock from the same source. We don't think that we will want chickens anymore by that time. Has anyone else had this kind of experience, any wisdom for us. We are incredibly sad and feel like failures.
I am so sorry for your losses :hugs:hugs:hugs
To answer your question, no, you are not "too soft". A lot of people raise chickens (and really any other animal) as pets, and it is completely ok. Others raise them as livestock for eggs and/or for meat and/or for breeding and thats ok too. I raise mine as pets who lay breakfast every day ;) But i understand the hurt of loss of any pet. Chickens can elicit just as strong of emotions as any other pet, dont let anyone make you feel bad that youre mourning a chicken. :old My first flock were buff orpingtons and they were all unusually friendly and docile. They were some of the best companions that ive ever seen in my life, and i was shocked and awed that chickens could have such personalities. At the time i was raising them on my parents property and my dad was watching them for me whilst he was sick. Needless to say he accidentally left the gate open that night and the next morning they found nothing but blood and feathers left of my beloved babies. It was absolutely devastating for me and both of them, but my mom took it really really hard. She (to this day) doesnt want any more chickens on her property because she just "cant handle the loss". I reflect back on that experience and am still saddened, but there is a very real feeling of the circle of life that i can appreciate and understand, even tho losses are still very hard. Unfortunately all living things do eventually die, weather its abruptly, or over time, and ive learned to try to accept it as a part of life. Ive found that loss is a little easier now, but it never gets "easy". They are living creatures, and we love them. No matter the spices.
Hope you make the decision thats right for you and your family. :jumpy:love

M:bun

I can empathize. Mine are pets too. The reason we grieve is because we care. Chickens are unique amazing creatures. And the longer you have them the more you learn. Even with the best of care something could happen they are outside with wild birds flying around (that can bring problems) they peck and eat things off the ground (that can bring problems) they can have personality and flock problems....yet we strive to give them the best care possible. Faced with your circumstances What would I do? In all honesty I’d keep taking care of symptoms as best I could. It’s not as if you did anything to cause this or were neglectful in any way sometimes it just happens and it seems So Unfair!
And if you find yourself one day with a empty coop...I think the draw that chickens have on our heartstrings will tell you which direction you should go.
Chickens are a complicated pet. Most chickens don’t live past harvest growth or past egg laying prime. People who raise them for these purposes seldom have to deal with the issues that pet owners do.
I can understand feeling frustrated and just wanting to give up. Perhaps that’s best. Dunno
They work their way into our lives. Kinda hard to resist. They’re amazing little creatures with lots of opportunities for something to go wrong.
I can empathize
:hugs

You're not too soft. Besides, a kind heart like yours makes for the best pet owners. It's easy to feel like a failure with chickens, but in your case, I think you've been pretty successful. There are just so many things that can go wrong, and I know that doesn't make it any easier to accept. I would just try not to think about the "length" of their lifetime, because no matter how long they live, it still won't be long enough, especially when they're beloved pets. Think instead about their "quality" of life, and all the joys you shared together right up to the end... that's what matters.

I haven't experienced what you have, but I lost my first hen last winter when I was negligent in locking up for the night and my birds roosted on the fence instead. I found her body in the morning, partially left behind from an unknown predator, and I was devastated. I was also worried that the loss would affect my 6 year old daughter at school, so I talked to the counselor there to give a heads up. As I was explaining the story I broke down, and she handed me tissues and had me sit down. We talked for an hour or more then she sent me home with children's books to help my "daughter" deal with the grief. I read them all and they were quite helpful.

On a side note I'm curious... if your flock really is infected with infectious bronchitis, why would it be recommended to start over with chickens from the same source? As far as I understand, once IB is eradicated from the premises, it should just be gone. I think I would give chickens another try... maybe with birds from a hatchery or different breeder.

I really am so sorry you have to go through all this. I wish your heart peace ❤️

I am so deeply for your losses. This is not the first time I’ve heard someone ask about a thread or forum for losers and grieving, but am mot aware of one that exists. I also find chicken loss very painful, as mine are beloved pets, too. I try to give them the best lives possible and enjoy all their little antics, aware that I could lose one anytime. It’s important to me to experience joy with them, or else the loss would be too painful to me, too. Big hug.

We put down a girl today, our very first ever egg layer. I bawled like a baby while my 9 year old niece reminded me she’s in heaven with our other chickens. This truly is the worst part of life-whether people, pets or any other animal-but I try to keep it in perspective and remember that I never want to become desensitized to death of any kind. Hugs to you all, may our girls have a lovely time dust bathing, bug hunting & scratching to their hearts content in heaven!

You're not too soft. Besides, a kind heart like yours makes for the best pet owners. It's easy to feel like a failure with chickens, but in your case, I think you've been pretty successful. There are just so many things that can go wrong, and I know that doesn't make it any easier to accept. I would just try not to think about the "length" of their lifetime, because no matter how long they live, it still won't be long enough, especially when they're beloved pets. Think instead about their "quality" of life, and all the joys you shared together right up to the end... that's what matters.

I haven't experienced what you have, but I lost my first hen last winter when I was negligent in locking up for the night and my birds roosted on the fence instead. I found her body in the morning, partially left behind from an unknown predator, and I was devastated. I was also worried that the loss would affect my 6 year old daughter at school, so I talked to the counselor there to give a heads up. As I was explaining the story I broke down, and she handed me tissues and had me sit down. We talked for an hour or more then she sent me home with children's books to help my "daughter" deal with the grief. I read them all and they were quite helpful.

On a side note I'm curious... if your flock really is infected with infectious bronchitis, why would it be recommended to start over with chickens from the same source? As far as I understand, once IB is eradicated from the premises, it should just be gone. I think I would give chickens another try... maybe with birds from a hatchery or different breeder.

I really am so sorry you have to go through all this. I wish your heart peace ❤️
Thank you for your support and kindness. I didn't word my post well. Our girls all came from different sources. If we were to start over we were told to get them all from one breeder. But most of our hens came from breeders ? What is to prevent us getting IB again? Is it wrong to get more hens if we do have this virus?It seems unethical, but the hens could go to people who will harvest them when they are young anyway? Most of our hens are dual purpose, if we don't take them, aren't they going to die young anyway. We would like them to live long lives with us. We do have some hens who are not showing signs of disease and they are 7 years old.

I am so deeply for your losses. This is not the first time I’ve heard someone ask about a thread or forum for losers and grieving, but am mot aware of one that exists. I also find chicken loss very painful, as mine are beloved pets, too. I try to give them the best lives possible and enjoy all their little antics, aware that I could lose one anytime. It’s important to me to experience joy with them, or else the loss would be too painful to me, too. Big hug.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom