Chicken lost but was here at tea?

JuniorTheHen

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2019
UK England
Hey there folks, I have a problem.

I fed my chickens at "tea time" (about 5'o'clock) and they were all there (all 19). Now, however, when I locked them in at night, I counted 18 chickens. (around 7:30'o'clock). This is very odd since they were all there before hand.

Some of them, 2-3 of them, do wonder into next doors garden - but return shortly after.

I love my chickens and would love some help in how to find her.

Thanks!

It can be,,,,,, one of your hens is sitting on a clutch of hidden eggs, and she returned to sit on them for the night. All I can suggest, is,,,, keep looking anywhere it would be possible for her to hide.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and hoping you find her :highfive:

With time zones, you are probably about 6 hours ahead of me so it should be afternoon for you. Has she not shown up yet? Often they do the next morning.. If she has shown up, things are probably good.

Sometimes a predator attacks but they get away. They can stay hidden until its too late to come home but usually show up the next morning.

If she has not shown up different things could have happened. Something may have gotten her. That could be a predator like a bird of prey or a fox. Dogs are a big risk. Or maybe a human got her.

She may have a hidden nest and gone broody. If she has done that she will spend all night and almost all day on that nest, coming off rarely to grab a bite to eat, drink some water, and go poo. I've had broody hens come off the nest twice a day for over an hour each time, one came off once a day for about 15 minutes, and many I never see off the nest. If you occasionally see her with your flock that is probably what happened. If you have a rooster and the eggs ere fertile she could bring home some chicks. If the eggs are not fertile she may be gone for a month or more before she breaks from being broody.

If there are other chicken flocks in the area she may have joined one of those.

There is probably not a lot you can do if she doesn't show up on her own. You can look around the neighborhood and see if you see her but usually it's up to her to find her own way home.

Good point. I had a hen get trapped under a bucket that flipped over when she tried to perch on it. She stayed very quiet, I was lucky to find her.
This also happened to me a long time ago. I had a massive rooster with a small bucket on his head. He just laid there until I took it off, then he ran around the garden. For some reason, chooks go very quiet when they can't see.

Back
Top Bottom