Chicken lost half her skin

Op said in initial post that vet said to NOT use blu-kote in this case. Bless you for doing your absolute best to save her. Azygous's words did get my attention, because she is Very knowledgeable and will go to GReat lengths to help save a bird if she believes it can be saved. Yes her eyes show her distress, but i cant blame u for continuing to try as long as she is fighting too. Both of YOU are not just fighters; you are WARRIORS. Prayers for that precious little chicken girl, & prayers for you too.

What have you done so far? She needs antibiotics, STAT. Call a farm supply store for some amoxycillon, or order Baytril online (https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-2-5). Liberally spray the wound with a wound cleaning solution (doesn't have to be for animals, just get some from any pharmacy), get some NON-STICK trauma pads and put against the wounds, and wrap her body securely, but not too tight, with Vet wrap or the human equivalent (https://www.chewy.com/3m-vetrap-hor...MI0LfKju6d7QIVAYzICh16dA3MEAQYAiABEgLb-vD_BwE)

If you're wanting to save her, it is absolutely critical that the wound is kept MOIST, or you will radically increase her healing time.

Please keep her quality of life in mind. She is in pain, and if this is too much for her or for you, it is reasonable to put her down.
Thank you, I agree with all of this. I put an update on the original post.

I'm glad she's still with you, but I agree with @jwehl- how can ANYONE do that?!
I get that people make mistakes - didn't realize the puppy would maul the chicken - dumb/naive but, yknow, forgivable. my roommates dog got a rooster the other day because, for the first time ever, one of my roos decided to go into their yard. I happened to be within earshot and the bird wasnt hurt (just traumatized), but I do get that accidents happen. this dog has been allowed to run around among the chickens with vague supervision with no issues, but if the birds are in the house, he is waaaay too interested in them.

or sometimes people dont notice a bird is hurt or sick - also forgivable. i dont tend to notice illness until i have a dead bird or a bird that wont roost, but then I treat them and the flock and send the dead ones off for a necropsy and do my best.

but to just... leave it there this injured and, what, wait for it to die on its own? :mad:

I get that people make mistakes - didn't realize the puppy would maul the chicken - dumb/naive but, yknow, forgivable. my roommates dog got a rooster the other day because, for the first time ever, one of my roos decided to go into their yard. I happened to be within earshot and the bird wasnt hurt (just traumatized), but I do get that accidents happen. this dog has been allowed to run around among the chickens with vague supervision with no issues, but if the birds are in the house, he is waaaay too interested in them.

or sometimes people dont notice a bird is hurt or sick - also forgivable. i dont tend to notice illness until i have a dead bird or a bird that wont roost, but then I treat them and the flock and send the dead ones off for a necropsy and do my best.

but to just... leave it there this injured and, what, wait for it to die on its own? :mad:
:goodpost:
Yeah I wasn't really cross about the 'puppy' thing because they could have just left it for a minute and it grabbed at her, but the chicken is clearly in great pain and terribly injured and leaving it alone and neglected is a really abusive thing to do :mad:....

:goodpost:
Yeah I wasn't really cross about the 'puppy' thing because they could have just left it for a minute and it grabbed at her, but the chicken is clearly in great pain and terribly injured and leaving it alone and neglected is a really abusive thing to do :mad:....
I know, they didn't even bother to pick her up until I was about to collect her. They let me know she was injured and looked "a little rough, but she'll be ok." Awful people.

I have one, what I mean is that I can't weigh her on it because she won't allow it. This girl is a real fighter, I can only help her when I have her wrapped in a towel.
try placing the scale on your bathroom counter, turn it on, turn off the lights, and set her on it.

Back
Top Bottom