Chicken makeing constant new noise

MillieBantam

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2017
One of our Brahma's starting making a odd "moaning" noise. She does it constantly with a bit of gurgle before it. We know shes just about ready to start laying eggs and worried if she is getting sick or if could be a hormonal thing. Anyone have ideas. I included a short video of what shes doing. She does seem a bit lethargic. We have isolated her for monitoring. Anyone experience a similar issue or have a idea what it may be?

Hi!

How does her crop feel?Watery?Hard?
Does her breath smell bad?
Can you examine her mouth with a flashlight?
How does her poop look?

Try keeping her calm.You can buy poultry vitamins and put it in her water.You can offer scrambled eggs occasionally too.

Hi @MillieBantam :frow Welcome To BYC

She is a sweet girl.

How long has she been doing this?
Have you noticed any mucous from the nostrils or watery eyes?
Does she only do this after she's been eating/drinking?
How long have you had her?

It sounds like she may have stridor - possibly she has a bit of food or something blocking her airway.

Not to scare you, but chickens can sound like this when they have a respiratory illness, but usually there are more symptoms like coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils and watery or blubbly eyes.

Keep watch on her, if it continues, then take a look inside her beak for any obstruction or lesions. See that she is drinking and eating.

Let us know how she is doing.

She started making noises a couple days ago, but she only started gurgling yesterday.
We haven't seen any mucous or the like yet, but her beak and feet are pale and dull.
She makes the noise most of the time, but today it seems as if she has lost her voice a bit. she didn't make the noise at night, I think she slept a little. She refuses to eat or drink.
We have had her since she was a day old and she is about four months old now.

we will check to see if there is an obstruction/lesions in her beak.

Hi!

How does her crop feel?Watery?Hard?
Does her breath smell bad?
Can you examine her mouth with a flashlight?
How does her poop look?

Try keeping her calm.You can buy poultry vitamins and put it in her water.You can offer scrambled eggs occasionally too.

Her poo looks mostly white. we are examining her mouth today. I will try to feel her crop too.

One of our Brahma's starting making a odd "moaning" noise. She does it constantly with a bit of gurgle before it. We know shes just about ready to start laying eggs and worried if she is getting sick or if could be a hormonal thing. Anyone have ideas. I included a short video of what shes doing. She does seem a bit lethargic. We have isolated her for monitoring. Anyone experience a similar issue or have a idea what it may be?

It seems like a cockerel starting to crow.....

Back
Top Bottom