Chicken making a strange clock noise when breathing

Mar 21, 2022
I have a chicken that started to make a very strange noise when it breathes, it is eating and drinking water normally and is moving normally, it is not showing any sign of illness, it is just this noise , she is 4 months old and still doesn't lay eggs.If anyone who has been through this can help me to know what she has, I would be very grateful because I've done a lot of research and haven't found anything she might have. I'll leave a video of her breathing with this noise , turn the volume to maximum to listen, it is similar to the sound of a clock when the seconds pass.

I have a chicken that started to make a very strange noise when it breathes, it is eating and drinking water normally and is moving normally, it is not showing any sign of illness, it is just this noise , she is 4 months old and still doesn't lay eggs.If anyone who has been through this can help me to know what she has, I would be very grateful because I've done a lot of research and haven't found anything she might have. I'll leave a video of her breathing with this noise , turn the volume to maximum to listen, it is similar to the sound of a clock when the seconds pass.

Hey welcome in BYC
It looks like Aspiration to me but I'm not sure
Clicking sound is when the lungs have some kind of liquid chicken indirectly inhale .
I will start Baytril or Doxycycline for this issue for 5-7 days

Welcome To BYC

How is she doing?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. (Check first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink).

Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?

Have you looked to see if there's anything inside her beak?
I checked her crop in the morning and it was empty, I looked with a flashlight inside her beak and I didn't see anything either , but today I noticed that she is sneezing a lot.

I am located in Brazil, and it has been raining a lot lately and the weather is quite cold.

She eats mash feed 6 times a day, and sometimes when I'm eating some bread, cookies or fruit I give her a piece too.

In addition to this noise in the video she also makes gurgling noises while eating and when I try to hold her in my arms like this:

https://ibb.co/CQ6ZFJ6
Welcome To BYC

How is she doing?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. (Check first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink).

Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?

Have you looked to see if there's anything inside her beak?

Hey welcome in BYC
It looks like Aspiration to me but I'm not sure
Clicking sound is when the lungs have some kind of liquid chicken indirectly inhale .
I will start Baytril or Doxycycline for this issue for 5-7 days
I forgot to say but she also makes gurgling noises while eating and when I try to hold her in my arms like this:

https://ibb.co/CQ6ZFJ6

Today I also noticed that she is starting to sneeze frequently.Are these also symptoms of this disease? ( Aspiration )

Is there any mold in the coop or run where she is living? How is the ventilation? Clicking can be a sign of a respiratory or heart problem. Does she have any puffy area under the skin around her neck or sides that could be air under the skin? Sneezing, labored breathing and gurgles could be signs of a respiratory disease. Gurgles them selves can also be a sign of food coming back up into the throat, but may be from mucus as well. Do you have access to any antibiotics? Those may treat bacterial illness or mycoplasma, but would not treat a virus or mold fungus.

Is there any mold in the coop or run where she is living? How is the ventilation? Clicking can be a sign of a respiratory or heart problem. Does she have any puffy area under the skin around her neck or sides that could be air under the skin? Sneezing, labored breathing and gurgles could be signs of a respiratory disease. Gurgles them selves can also be a sign of food coming back up into the throat, but may be from mucus as well. Do you have access to any antibiotics? Those may treat bacterial illness or mycoplasma, but would not treat a virus or mold fungus.
Yes due to this time of year it is raining a lot where I live, my house is very moldy. She spends most of her day outside in the yard and only comes inside to sleep and feed, so I think she has access to good ventilation. She doesn't have any puffy area under the skin around her neck or sides that could be air under the skin. What is the name of the antibiotic I should give her to get well?

In addition to this noise in the video she also makes gurgling noises while eating and when I try to hold her in my arms like this

Today I also noticed that she is starting to sneeze frequently.Are these also symptoms of this disease? ( Aspiration )

my house is very moldy. She spends most of her day outside in the yard and only comes inside to sleep and feed
You mention aspiration. Have you given her any oil or water by syringe and she aspirated?

Gurgling noises while eating, I would still reinvestigate to make sure her crop is emptying.
Some of the symptoms do point to respiratory infection. Mold can cause the symptoms as well. Even if she's outside during the day, if it's moldy where she's sleeping, then that may be part of the problem.

Tylan/Tylosin, Tetracyclines or Baytril can be used to see if those make a difference.

I think that it was Saaniya that first mentioned aspiration, not the OP. I agree that the antibiotics mentioned in Wyorp Rock’s post 9 might be of help. Mold can cause aspergillosis, but that can only be treated by removing the source of mold. Some have mentioned using a fogger or nebulizer with non-activated Oxine to treat for mold. Here is some reading about it although I have not used it:
http://poultryone.com/daily-care/respiratory-html

Back
Top Bottom