Chicken making a weird noise every time she breathes?

Kristee

Songster
6 Years
Jan 4, 2018
Indiana
Hi! I'm not new to chickens, but I'm new to this behavior! My Wyandotte, Wendy, is making this odd sound, constantly, as she breathes. I can't tell if it's physical pain from some trauma or maybe sickness? It just started a few hours ago. I see no visible injuries, nor do I feel anything wrong. She seems to be eating and drinking. Her eyes and nostrils are clear and I haven't seen abnormal poo. She's about 5 months old, and honestly I'm not entirely sure if she's laying yet. Her other flock mates seem to be doing fine, so I separated her just in case. I have a roo but he never seems to be very rough with his girls so I don't think it was him. They have plenty of shade and water in their run. Also she's vaccinated against Marek's. I'm stumped and also very, very concerned. :(

The link is the video of the noise, I hope this is okay, because for some reason it won't let me insert it as a normal video.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSA2jWIAMRe/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I can't get her to a vet right now, so any advice from someone who may have experienced similar would be very greatly appreciated!

Sounds like stridor, a partial obstruction of the airway. It's often a bit of feed that gets stuck in there and it will often resolve on it's own. If it persists then it could indicate a respiratory infection. I've had birds do it when they get overheated also, it stops when they cool off. She looks good in the video, so hopefully just a bit of something stuck. Hopefully she's doing better today.

Sounds like stridor, a partial obstruction of the airway. It's often a bit of feed that gets stuck in there and it will often resolve on it's own. If it persists then it could indicate a respiratory infection. I've had birds do it when they get overheated also, it stops when they cool off. She looks good in the video, so hopefully just a bit of something stuck. Hopefully she's doing better today.

Thank you very much for your reply and well-wishes, I stayed with her for a bit this morning and I think you were right, since it did resolve shortly after. Noises stopped and she's perfectly normal again. :)

Back
Top Bottom