Chicken making strange noises

bibzybean

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2019
I wasn't sure whether to put this on the injuries forum, because I'm not sure if it's an actual problem or if I'm overreacting, haha.

Whenever my blacktail chicken clucks/crows/makes chicken sounds, it always sounds a little raspy, as if she's losing her voice. Any quiet sounds she makes come out as high pitched whistles. She doesn't appear to have any issue breathing or eating, no strange symptoms, and she only ever does gaping once in a while. She's made noises like this ever since we got her 3-4 weeks ago although I'm not sure if it has gotten more prominent recently, do you think this is a sign of a disease or health problem, or do you think it might just be how some chickens speak? :(

Our voice box in our throat can change when mucous gets in the larynx or we have something else stuck in there, such as a piece of food. It can make us sound funny when we try to talk.

Chickens have a larynx, too. Your chicken may have gotten a thin piece of straw caught in there, or there could be mucous from an infection.

Since she isn't behaving sick, and is eating well, it's probably nothing to be concerned about. But you should get someone to help you pry open her beak so you can shine a flashlight into the center of her throat and see if there's any mucous or blisters or what may appear to be unswallowed food. She could have a respiratory illness and not be noticeably sick. If you see anything, get a photo of it if you can so we can try to diagnose it.

Age of this chicken? Have you checked her crop? Does she free range or is she confined? What things do you feed her? See any mucous in eyes, nares, mouth and throat, ears? Swelling around the face? What kind of soil does she live on? What is her bedding in the coop?

Age of this chicken? Have you checked her crop? Does she free range or is she confined? What things do you feed her? See any mucous in eyes, nares, mouth and throat, ears? Swelling around the face? What kind of soil does she live on? What is her bedding in the coop?
She's about 16 weeks old, not sure about her crop. She came from a free range farm, now they have an enclosure in our garden (that they get let out of daily), and we feed her chicken pellets, vegetables, and as treats we give her dandelion leaves and a little corn each day. I haven't seen any mucus or swelling, not sure about the soil, and the bedding is straw-based that she's had since she was a chick.

Our voice box in our throat can change when mucous gets in the larynx or we have something else stuck in there, such as a piece of food. It can make us sound funny when we try to talk.

Chickens have a larynx, too. Your chicken may have gotten a thin piece of straw caught in there, or there could be mucous from an infection.

Since she isn't behaving sick, and is eating well, it's probably nothing to be concerned about. But you should get someone to help you pry open her beak so you can shine a flashlight into the center of her throat and see if there's any mucous or blisters or what may appear to be unswallowed food. She could have a respiratory illness and not be noticeably sick. If you see anything, get a photo of it if you can so we can try to diagnose it.
Ah okay, thank you very much

Is the high squeak come only once at about 3 seconds in?
Everything else sounds pretty normal to me.
she usually only squeaks if she’s making a quiet noise, then it comes out as a kind of whistle?

I agree you should try and check her throat. I live North of Seattle and have noticed prior to severe changes in weather one of my girls gets a raspy voice and squeaky coo's. It has happened twice then passed.

Barring any obvious distress in her throat, if she's otherwise healthy, it might just be how she is.

:hugs It's so hard being a worried chicken mama!

Back
Top Bottom