chicken manure in the garden

Boxermom - if you are getting baby chicks this year, then, depending on how many chicks you are getting you might not have so much manure to compost - but you JUST WAIT until the next year when you will be coming out your ears in chicken poop. (even I with only 3 chickens)

Quote:
AFAIK this is only in respect to not 'burning' the plants -- for situations where fecal bacteria are a concern, i.e. in veg or salad gardens, a couple months' ageing is still recommended.

Pat

Quote:
We're getting 51! (My DH thinks I'm nuts.
wink.png
)

Quote:
AFAIK this is only in respect to not 'burning' the plants -- for situations where fecal bacteria are a concern, i.e. in veg or salad gardens, a couple months' ageing is still recommended.

Pat

Well, the fecal bacteria in all the rabbit manure I used to use (and my mother, and my great grandmother) never bothered us, so we just blindly used it - and ate the delicious results. Mind you we don't put the manure right up to the plant, no manure should be used that way. Worked into the soil it hasn't been a problem. Of course all veggies are thoroughly washed before consumption. I'd like to hear from any home gardeners who were sickened by their own produce. I hear rumors and scare tactics from the USDA types, but I don't hear of any actual cases. It's the large producers using manure out of containment type operations that have caused outbreaks of disease.

Hi antiquebuff, I sometimes make chicken-poo tea for my plants--- I put a small amount of it (about 2 cups) then add about 4 handfulls of torn-up nettles and the same of comfrey if I can get hold of some--- then pour on approximately 2 gallons of boiling water & stir. Leave, covered, for 2 weeks. By then it will have matured--- it can get pretty stinky in warm weather !!! You then strain it and use it to water plants. If I'm using it for seedlings I dilute it with water. It works very well, great for tomatoes !! Good Luck. Hattie
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom