1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken manure in the garden

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by boxermom, Mar 19, 2009.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I am new to chickens. In fact we don't even have ours yet. They are coming the end of April. [​IMG] My question is, can chicken manure be spread on the garden immediately, or does it need to compost for awhile? [​IMG]

I've learned so much on this site, but I have't seen where this has been addressed. If I'm in the wrong question section, I apologize. Please feel free to move this question into the correct section. [​IMG]

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

It should age. I put it out into the garden in Fall and let it sit over winter.

3. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Fresh chicken manure can burn up some plants. It must age, like fine wine.

I don't quite wait all winter, as I always have a fresh supply of poop to get rid of. It composts well. If you don't have a pile going, you should start one - it's great for the garden, and it's a good way to dispose of a lot of scraps that would otherwise go in the trash.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Manure of any kind is too "hot" (too much ammonia, etc) when it is fresh and can burn plants. This is why it needs to age for a while in the composter before it can be used in the garden. Then, it is like gold!

5. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It should help cook up all the other stuff in the compost pile and speed things along though, right? I'm new to it all too, but that makes sense, right? I guess I'll be seeing soon!

6. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

It will be a wonderful addition to your compost heap, especially if you dump the bedding in (or other browns) to counteract it. When it's soil, it's good to go. If you can look at the pile and tell what's what, it needs time.

7. HeartLunger

HeartLunger Out Of The Brooder

Quote:A minimum of 6 months is required for any type of manure before it is used in the garden.

8. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Just wondering about this.....Could you add a little chicken litter to a bucket and then fill it up with water and let it sit about a week and use it on our plants?
    Hope someone knows!

9. HeartLunger

HeartLunger Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Possibly, but the reason you must let the manure sit for 6 months is because when the manure is fresh the nitrogen content is too high which will burn the plants.

10. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Cattle Fresh manure tea is a well known fertilizer , but i never heard of chicken manure tea. I would think it would work if you used very very little manure. I know the cattle manure tea should be very light brown. WIth Chicken poo being stronger, use even less.
    But then, it isn't brown, so how do you know the strength?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by