chicken manure in the garden

boxermom

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Spencer,IA
I am new to chickens. In fact we don't even have ours yet. They are coming the end of April.
celebrate.gif
My question is, can chicken manure be spread on the garden immediately, or does it need to compost for awhile?
idunno.gif

I've learned so much on this site, but I have't seen where this has been addressed. If I'm in the wrong question section, I apologize. Please feel free to move this question into the correct section.
smile.png

Fresh chicken manure can burn up some plants. It must age, like fine wine.

I don't quite wait all winter, as I always have a fresh supply of poop to get rid of. It composts well. If you don't have a pile going, you should start one - it's great for the garden, and it's a good way to dispose of a lot of scraps that would otherwise go in the trash.

Last edited:
Manure of any kind is too "hot" (too much ammonia, etc) when it is fresh and can burn plants. This is why it needs to age for a while in the composter before it can be used in the garden. Then, it is like gold!

It should help cook up all the other stuff in the compost pile and speed things along though, right? I'm new to it all too, but that makes sense, right? I guess I'll be seeing soon!

It will be a wonderful addition to your compost heap, especially if you dump the bedding in (or other browns) to counteract it. When it's soil, it's good to go. If you can look at the pile and tell what's what, it needs time.

Just wondering about this.....Could you add a little chicken litter to a bucket and then fill it up with water and let it sit about a week and use it on our plants?
Hope someone knows!

Cattle Fresh manure tea is a well known fertilizer , but i never heard of chicken manure tea. I would think it would work if you used very very little manure. I know the cattle manure tea should be very light brown. WIth Chicken poo being stronger, use even less.
But then, it isn't brown, so how do you know the strength?

Back
Top Bottom