Chicken Manure

SOlace30

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2019
new to Chickens, and I come across few article stating clippings and manure can take up 6 month before they are ready to use for plants as compost. My question was if I have amassed 6 to 10 bucket loads in the month I've been raising my chicks. If I continually compost my clipping and manure into same pile it will always need 6 months to be ready. Just trying see what other people do.

thanks

Two piles or two containers works, one is a pile you are actively collecting and adding to, the other is a pile you are aging and occasionally turning until it is ready.

When it's fully composted and ready it will just look like dark black soil and not really have an odor.

Also what starts as 10 bucket loads, by the time it's done composting will be more like 5 bucket loads.

Chicken manure is great for compost.

Add it to your pile. Take the pile's temperature. When the pile's hot, it's composting. When it cools down, turn it and take its temperature again a day or so later. When you can't get it to heat up anymore, it's done and safe to add to your plantings.

To monitor the temperature you can use a specialty long shafted compost thermometer OR you can use what I call a compost stick. When you trim trees look for long sturdy straight branches 3/4"-1" in diameter. Trim any side shoots so that it can slip into and out of your pile easily. Sharpen one end by cutting it at a steep angle.

Now push it down from the top of your pile into the center as far as you can drive it. It should make it to the core of your pile. Leave it in there. Then to check on how your pile is doing pull it out. You'll be able to feel both the temperature and the moisture. Just replace it and when it comes out cool, turn your pile. When it comes out dry, water it.

Keep collecting compost sticks. They will decompose too as they sit in the pile. Just cut a new angle and stick it back in. It will take a good while but one day your stick will be too short to be useful anymore. Then you'll want another one on hand.

I have 2 piles. I keep adding stuff for about 6 months, then start my other pile. The first pile is usually good to use after 6 months. Mine smells like rich topsoil when it's ready.

Back
Top Bottom