chicken manure

rollo4

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 31, 2012
I have a few 11 gallon trash bags half full of chicken poop mixed with whatever comes up when I scoop poop.
I am interested in composting the poop. I would like to hear from those that have successfully done so.

i defitetly swear by this compost recepie. you take some chicken poop some horse manure and a whole bunch of leaves (you may have to wait until autumn) and when that time comes collect a whole lot of leaves ,you can even do it as a service to people and make sure you've got enough to last all year, and this is the best compost ever and if you dont have a horse go to a local racetrack and get plenty its great i promise!

Just get some hay, wheat straw, leaves, grass clippings or whatever natural material that you can find that will decompose. Table scraps--no meat--old fruit, egg shells, any of this stuff. Put in in a pile or in a bucket or barrel, I have a 6 ft square area with fence edging, dump it all together and put the chicken poop on in. Mix it up and add more material, mix it up again and add more poop, mix it up and add some leaves grass clippings or straw. Don't forget to add any vegetable table scraps you have. O and add some more poop along with the bedding material you use in your coop!

It won't take long and you will have some of the best compost ever made. If you made your pile on the ground it will soon begin growing great big fat juicy earthworms -if you don't see any buy some fishing worms and add them- they will help all the material decompose. Shovel it all to one side -volume will decrease as it decomposes- and add new material to the empty side. In a couple or three weeks mix it all together and add some more material and poop. Mix and add, mix and add, mix and add!

Next spring fill your wheelbarrow with the decomposed material and haul it to the garden, spread it heavy before mixing it in the soil. You just put some of the best fertilizer God ever created on your garden and your vegetables will grow better than ever before.

PS--don't leave all this chicken poop in the garbage bags, use it now for compost, there is no reason to save it as chickens are always pooping. If you leave it in the bags it will decompose in the bag and generate a lot of heat that could have potential side effects especially if stored indoors--did I hear someone say fire hazard?

Last edited:
For instant green lightning I take a feed bag and fill it about ¼ to ½ full with fresh chicken poop and close it off with an electrical tie.

I then fill a 45 gal drum with water. I pop in my Gigantic tea bag and wait 12 hours and use that brew on my vegetable garden.

Try to avoid pouring this concoction directly on the leaves of your beans it will burn the leaves. Other vegetables it does not seem to bother much but it is better to avoid direct contact with the plant if you can.

I use 2 liter pop bottles as reservoirs to water tomatoes and cucumber (add egg shells to your tomato plant reservoirs). I cut the bottom out of the bottle and shove the funneled end near the root of the plant. Filled them up with my brew.

Also be prepared to jump back after pouring this on your plants as the plant may grow so fast it will sprout up and hit you under the chin,

If you click on this picture you maybe able to notice some of my 2 liter pop bottles employed in this photo.

This picture is taken late spring or early summer 2 years ago (velvet on the antlers.) This buck has a rocking chair on his head this year for antlers He will make a fine trophy for some lucky hunter.
My chicken coop is the building to the left.

Last edited:
I have 4 piles of compost near our garden. The compost soil is as good as gold, if not better!

I use my feed bags to store the poop and my hubby carries it down every week to the compost piles. I also compost garden vegetables, fruits and weeds.

Our garden, potted plants, herbs and trees we plant flourish with the compost!

I think hubby turns the pile 1-2 times a year. The chickens do a great job scratching and eating all the bugs in there, so turning is not needed too often. I wait a year before using the compost, that's why we have a few separate piles.

All the poop in our yard gets washed in daily with a garden hose. This saves us from needing to fertilize.:). We now only fertilize our yard right before the snow falls. Plus it keeps the flies at bay.

I clean my coop and run every day or a few times a day. I hate flies, so keeping it clean helps.

Since i wait to use the compost for a year, there is no burning.

Last edited:
Hi, I have 7 girls in a small coop/run which I clean daily. I use PDZ on the floor and on the poop board, the run is dirt.
To clean I just scoop the poop and drop it in an old coffee can which I take to the garden where I have a hole dug,
just drop the poop in the hole cover with a little dirt. When the hole fills up move to another spot

Back
Top Bottom