chicken matenence

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ucheeco, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ucheeco

ucheeco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    now i no the basics from my recnt posts, but how much money will i be spending on food and supplies. do foodstores or places like petco sell the food and suplies i need

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    How many chickens do you have? I've never seen chicken food at pet co or a grocery store, I get mine at animal feed stores, like Big R, or the Ag Supply.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    The food and supplies can be bought at your local livestock feed store. As for the cost, that depends on how many birds you have and the feed prices in your area.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    ucheeco, Once you find where to buy your chick starter, you also need to know what kind to buy. Medicated starter is to protect against coccidiosis, however if you have your chicks vaccinated then you need regular chick starter.

It's important to vaccinate for merek's when chicks are ordered also, however that doesn't affect the feed you use.

bigzio

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Petco and Petsmart DO NOT sell chicken supplies...but I get their treats there...I buy a package of millet sprays for Obelisk and the Tender Vittles moist cat food for moulting time.
    I have to drive to a feedstore for chicken food and medicine.

6. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    I buy my feed from a food buy club/coop that I belong to. We order from Azure Standard. I am able to get organic layer pellets as well as starter crumbles for $13-14/50lb bag. The farm supply stores around me only carry the organic feeds as mash (too much waste in my opinion).

7. ucheeco

ucheeco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    thanks.

i just found a feed store and i am very happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by