Chicken Math has Struck!! Or: New Coop NOW!!! Or: I'm Moving My Chickens to the Barn!!!

Pics

CrisAnderson27

Songster
Mar 6, 2020
Ewing, VA
Sooooo.

As the video says...this post is ALL about chicken math, lol.

Almost 9wks ago, I ended up the proud owner of 26 baby chicks (you can follow that saga here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-ish-to-raising-chickens.1351626/). I hadn't owned chicken in YEARS...and even then, they were just barn chicken in northwest Arizona where predators included coyote and maybe a REALLY big snake. Being mostly ground dwelling predators...the birds were plenty safe roosting in the rafters of the hay barn....and were completely free range.

As you can guess...that's a very different scenario from the Appalachians of south west Virginia lol. Pretty much everything out here climbs, flies, or otherwise has ways of getting to, and eating your chicken. The most dangerous to sleeping birds are of course raccoon. The coyote, bobcat, and fox (only heard ONE of those around here) stay away thanks to Ranger (he's in various of my videos...and you can see him below testing out the 'chickenworthiness' of my newly minted/repurposed quarantine coop!), and most everything else falls lower on the totem pole than the raccoon.

They're seriously devious little )*&#@$)#$%....evidenced by the fact that the only ones I've SEEN around here are roadkill.

Anyhow...20 barred rock chicks and 6 Cornish X (now 4 Cornish X...about to become 3 Cornish X tomorrow evening, for Wednesday dinner!). As it says in the link above they were straight run birds...I was hoping for two roosters, which would have been perfect. ALL TWENTY are female. Yes, I'm that lucky. So...I need a couple roosters. I'd been REALLY interested in picking up about five (yes...FIVE) blue Ameraucana...and/or Ayam Cemani. My barred rock girls are literally egg producers...but chicks sell around here every spring, and hatching eggs all the time. So, me being me...instead of straight up buying them...I decided to buy.....

....hatching eggs.

And an incubator (well, actually THREE incubators...but I've returned one of them!).

Oh. Boy.

Anyway!! I ended up with 14 Ameraucana eggs (they're supposed to be 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs, you know?). All 14 are still going strong on day 9. I also got 6 Ayam Cemani eggs, of which 4 are duds. The guy I bought them from seems to be a great guy though...so he sent me NINE MORE for the cost of shipping.

Oh...boy.

So...we're caught up now. Except for the part where my son wanted a rooster for his birthday, and I found various semi local Ayam Cemani for $30-$50 (yes, I know this would have solved part of my problem to begin with. Shush.). That has now turned into two roosters and three hens for $100.

C.H.I.C.K.E.N.

M.A.T.H.

Thus the need for a much, MUCH larger coop. We all know I'm going to have a 150% hatch rate on those eggs. That's how it works.

So this post is mostly a place marker for documenting some of the work I'm going to be doing to get everything chicken ready. If you all have any ideas, feel free to chime in. I'm on a budget and will mostly be using materials laying around the property etc...but I still want it to be the best it can...with the majority of the function being keeping the birds out of drafts, and of course safe from predators.

Room is NOT going to be a problem lol.

Here's that picture of Ranger btw. He's...65lbs of pure entertainment to say the least...and I'm sure you won't regret getting to know him:

95695010_2506084143038540_4519166701975109632_n.jpg

And a couple more for good measure. The little monster he's sitting on is Coffee. He's a Siberian (literally...he might be a mix, but he doesn't look it...he's 10lbs at just shy of 6mos lol) stray Ranger literally brought home. In his mouth.

Seriously not kidding.

IMG_20200412_174140.jpg

IMG_20200412_174146.jpg

Between Ranger, Coffee, the twenty 9wk old Barred Rock pullets, and the three 2wk old goslings...it's a busy...and entertaining place around here lol.

Thanks for following along...and really, any and all advice will be much appreciated!

Wow! You have quite the Equation working there. We are doing a bit of our own Chicken Math too! We welcomed 3 silkies home from my daughter’s science class project, just picked up 6 chocked today and ordered 8 more, on top of the one BR we have!

my only advise is to cover the run And maybe when the funds allow, get an automatic door.

Wow! You have quite the Equation working there. We are doing a bit of our own Chicken Math too! We welcomed 3 silkies home from my daughter’s science class project, just picked up 6 chocked today and ordered 8 more, on top of the one BR we have!

my only advise is to cover the run And maybe when the funds allow, get an automatic door.

It's the devil's math I swear!!!

One cool thing is I was trying to figure out how to keep the geese and chicken together. It just wasn't going to work in that small run. I was planning on building a pole barn style 16x16 and extending their run.

It was a 'forest for the trees' thing lol. This barn has three odd, half finished coops already attached. Two inside (one is more like an odd 'stall'), and one outside.

I don't get Wi-Fi out here from the house, so it'll take a bit to upload (I said 'sw Virginia Appalachians remember lol)...but I'll do a walk through video here real quick to show you all.

Lol, first what's going on with the barn...then I'll get into Coffee and Ranger 😜 .

So this is the walkthrough. You can see the original 8x8 insulated coop, and 16x11 run that I used as a brooder/coop/run from 2wks on for my 20 barred rock girls, and 6 cornish x. It worked admirably, but mostly I think that's because they've grown up from chicks together. Adding birds would be fuel on tinder...and just about ANYTHING could be a match.

As I mentioned, my plans were to VERY quickly build a 16x16 pole style slant roof coop near the existing one. That would let me simply extend and enlarge the existing run. There were pro and cons to this plan lol. Most of the cons are eliminated with the barn refurbish...which is to the good. I also ended up declining the 5 Ayam Cemani (she sent pictures...red combs etc...no thanks), so that gives me a total of about a month to finish out the barn and get the Barred Rock girls moved over. Since the 'coop' is so big, I won't need to worry about finishing the outside run for a bit anyhow.

Here is is with the 'chicken' side cleaned up!

All to the good!

Ranger and Coffee are adorable!
Coffee looks like my late boy Snow (yeah, I know...) who at one phase of his adult life weighed 28 pounds. And Ranger! Oh man I LOVE ACD! I have a mixed girl Pip, 14 yo. She’s the apple of our eyes. I’m loving those adorable pictures.

Those two are like...soul twins. Ranger LITERALLY brought Coffee home in his mouth as a couple week old kitten. It was like...28°F in October, and I was walking my two boys down my driveway (first picture...it's 390' long lol and like a 45° grade :D) to the bus stop at the base. We hear this very faint 'mew!' that sounded like it was half a mile away. Ranger bolts across the road, down a 12' embankment, through the rushing spring fed/runoff creek, through the brush....and up the forested hillside on the other side about 50 yards. It was JUST light enough that I could see his shadow and a tiny black shadow in front of him rushing through the trees. I'm yelling for him as I let a round off downward into the hillside behind me (he recalls to the sound of a firearm in extreme situations...usually that being too far to hear me, or too 'puppy excited' to respond as he normally would)...which he completely ignored. Next thing I see, he scoops up the little black thing and rounds back smoothly towards us. I hear the same crashing in reverse, accompanied by the most blood curdling sound I've ever heard out of a cat. I hear the splash through the stream, and up the embankment he comes. As he crests the rise, he sees me and the boys (I still have my pistol in my hand lol) and stops dead. I yell at him 'SPIT IT OUT!!!'...and see poor soaked Coffee forcibly ejected from Ranger's face, lol. He then starts that slinking 'I'm a good boy who didn't do anything I promise!' walk/crawl across the road...with that crazy kitten following him trying to attack his tail. 65lbs of heeler puppy...with maybe a half pound of fluff attacking him as he crosses the road lol. Soooo, I brought the little guy home and kept him. He and Ranger adore each other, and Coffee is as much a dog as Ranger is a cat (which is a LOT more than anyone would guess)...all of which you'll see in the pictures below.

95873254_281997442824708_2759372851088719872_n.jpg

Ranger on our driveway, lol.

95659649_701588883984001_2988666225715838976_n.jpg

96140934_162414541847570_657880391499120640_n.jpg

95732114_869724810212153_2602073986019885056_n.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I come from getting a drink to see these two ON the table...drooling over my breakfast. I was in there a solid few minutes...and the fact that they showed such admirable restraint over bacon, fried potatoes, and fried eggs...was actually impressive enough that they just got told to get down lol. It's become impossible to keep Ranger off of furniture...half the time he sleeps ON the the back of the couch while I'm watching movies.

When we're with the geese, he thinks he's a goose...literally eats grass and follows them around licking them lol, when we're with the chickens...he scratches and noses the ground...and when we're with the rabbits he mostly tries to lick them through the bottom of their cages. He's a very confused pupper...but he pulls it off well lol.

89941294_236500027511980_1175682207050629120_n.jpg

If I'm in my office working too late...this is what my feet have to contend with, lol.

Ranger with the goslings:

Ranger with the chickens:

Coffee pretending to be a hat:

I have three other cats with just as much...although much more 'catlike'...personality lol. They all pretty much tolerate Ranger...to a greater or lesser degree depending on the day.

But these two are definitely pals.

They literally just got in the trash.

Together.

Well, actually...Coffee knocked it over...and Ranger left my feet to go investigate. I went in a couple minutes later to see what they were doing...and they both look up from the mess like two raccoons in headlights caught raiding a dumpster. I yelled out a solid 'NO!!'...and they booked it.

They're both currently locked in Ranger's kennel (where I found them) contemplating their behavior.

/sigh

Back
Top Bottom