Chicken math, how many as to many.

Yeah I was thinking 2 separate flocks, no more than 15 to 20 per flock, beautiful thing is I am on 3 acres and can move them weekly or monthly.
Weekly seems a bit too much, I would suggest a monthly move instead. It is good to let your chickens move their foraging location about every month, or few months, to let the other location grow in its plant life again, so the chickens can switch back to that and always have more to forage in.

I am in the South Eastern United states, gets no colder that usually in the 30s or 20s where I am at most winters
Then you have wiggle room. If you can provide the roost and nest space in the coop and some additional shelter from rain in the run, you can skirt the "coop space". Flock dynamics and behavior will rely on being let out first thing in the morning though.

Do not keep more than forty chickens in one flock at a time, as that is the point where there are too many birds and stress can increase among everyone.
So would like 40 give or take be ok or does it need to be exactly no more then 40?

I would say give or take would be okay.
phew-scrubs.gif

Back
Top Bottom