Chicken math, how many as to many.

How many chickens is to many, I currently have 15 Columbian rock chicks, and 15 hens that are already laying and now my fiance wants to possibly get a incubator and hatch some.
Not laughing at you, just at the "how many is too many", some folks would say there is no such thing as too many. IMO it depends on how much space you have, how large is your coop and run, do you free range, what are your plans for the chicks, cockerels? Start down the list and answer each question then ask yourself if you have the room to meet the minimum requirements for additions, i.e. 4sqft per bird in the coop, 10sqft per bird in the run (some of these things have a bit of wiggle room if they will free range daily) are you going to butcher extra cockerels? I have room for 15 grown birds, comfortably, but I hatch large batches of chicks regularly through hatching season, but I have a plan, and a separate area with a grow out coop. Just assess everything and have a plan, because overcrowding can cause serious behavior issues.

Last edited:
How much room do you have?
Per chicken, at minimum you should have:
4 sq feet in the coop
8sq feet in the run
10" linear roost space
1 foot square permanent ventilation
1 next box per 3-4 birds
The math above defines limits. Though I would add a +1 nest box.
40 give or take would be fine.
Sticking to your story. :thumbsup

There is no limit as long as everyone is happy, healthy and stress-free. Do not keep more than forty chickens in one flock at a time, as that is the point where there are too many birds and stress can increase among everyone. But if they are separated safely, it would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom