Chicken Math - kinda long

PtldChick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Portland, OR
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and keep reading about chicken math - sounds like it is addition to or multiplication of your existing chickens? LOL

Influenced by two friends who are raising chickens, I decided I wanted to get just a few Runner Ducks this spring - three or four. Well, to order them was a minimum of ten, so a friend and I went in on the order - she has 30 acres. She was going to take four and I was going to wait and see if any of the rare colored ones were hens (rares were straight run only) and rehome the drakes, or keep for breeding. Time went by and no notice from e-fowl when my order would ship so I contacted them and oops, they meant to contact me that my order couldn't ship as desired because the rarer colors (white and pencilled) came from a different place than the others. I could order ten rares or ten regulars. Duck math did not take place, I changed the order to only include blacks, blues, chocolates and a fawn and white. Three for my friend, seven now for me.

Because of the delay, I got impatient and saw an ad on CL for 3 two-week-old Ameraucanas (EEs) that a family decided they couldn't have. Three chickens, I thought, that's a perfect number, my city's limit. Then I got a groupon notification fora local store that I thought would be gardening stuff, but it turns out they also have chicks! So I got the groupon and 4 more chicks (2 of the breeds I wanted weren't available - GLW and Welsummer) - cuckoo marans, SLW, Salmon Faverolle and Buff Brahma. Two days later I got another buff brahma to raise for my friend, AND a golden lakenvelder than I really wanted from a different local chicken store.

I started searching CL to find an inexpensive chicken coop. A few weeks later, I saw an ad for Lavender Ameraucana (the real deal) and Lavender Orpington chicks, minimum three straight run. I enquired about two of each, but she only had the LOs left, so I added 3 of them to my brooder room (the guest room). I also saw an ad for three rare breed pullets (3 weeks old) near an event I was attending in the next state, so I came home with another Golden Lakenvelder, a GL Polish, and a Crevecoeur (she has turned out to be a banty).

In the meantime the ducks arrived at my friend's place and they included an extra for mortality but they all lived. When it came time to get them, I was able to leave a few extra with her so I brought home 6 duck hens, two each black, blue, chocolate. And I want to rehome two of them which shouldn't be hard. I've decided I like chickens better. Ducks are very messy.

Then I saw an ad for a 6-wk BCM pullet at a good price, and the woman had another ad for younger BCM chicks, so one of my chicken friends and I headed out to her place and came back with 5 black and blue CMs - four are straight run, so we may be culling roos. We are splitting the four straight run and I get first pick because I am raising them.

I am going to give my friend who raised the ducklings two of my chickens tomorrow as a surprise - the Faverolle and the Creve. Her DH forgot to close the gate to their chicken run and one of the dogs got 14 out of 15 pullets.
sad.png
But then I want to pick up a Blue Andalusian and a silver Fayoumi. And I am in contact with a woman who has Barnevelders and Coronation Sussex, and another with Welsummers. The coros are straight run so that would mean several of those. On top of that, I am getting paranoid about the sex of the BCMs and I saw the same woman hatched a bunch of different breed chicks and is offering 5 for $10 - such a deal if she has enough BCMs.

I'm not even sure how many I have or will have.

Help me!

duc.gif

Last edited:
Oh my, you DO have it bad! Although in your defense it IS highly contagious!!! I have only a mild case. I started out wanting 3, then decided 7 was a good number. I, so far, have been able to stick with 7, but I think only because this is my first time. My husband, who really did not want chickens at all, has been fighting it, but yesterday when we were discussing the colors that our chicks were going to mature as (all some variation of black, black and white or white with some black) said that some dark red colors might be nice
gig.gif
I, of course, said that I already had a breed I was interested in that was a brown / red color (Buckeyes) but they were no longer available from the hatchery, and when I saw some at the feed store I would have had to buy 6. He said maybe his brother could take three
lau.gif
Fortunately for him AND for me, the feed store was sold out. However, I DID see some ads on Craigslist, one for Blue Black Copper Marans, and one for Ameraucanas...I've really been wanting some Marans, and wouldn't some blue eggs be cool
hide.gif

Put the computer down and stop researching breeds!
lau.gif
. My husband only built a coop for 12 standard chickens comfortably. I have 8 with 7 different breeds. My neighbor has a rooster, and we've decided to breed the frizzle with the rooster and keep the female chicks. We were only going to raise 2 chickens in the beginning, then I started to research breeds. I'd love to have one of every breed.

It's a good thing the neighbors are coming over and requesting fresh eggs. Now I have good reason to keep all these chicks. I
love.gif
every single one!

Last edited:
I know what your going through!!!!
Who wants a bunch of chicks that look the same when you could have some that look different? Different eggs. Different sizes. Different colors. I have 9 light brahama and 8 red sex links. The Brahmas are being re homed. I'm kinda glad we have a good set of eight for egg production, but next year is when I want the rare pretty looking breeds. I want white egg layers chocolate egg layers blue egg layers I want a EE a mirocona buff orp. Barred Rock, marans, and I'm picky too. I of course want the looks and egg color to be right but I also want the chicken to be docile. Well im going to go look at some hatchery websites now! Excuse my spelling,
Good Luck -Brandon
smile.png

I know what you mean--my story is pretty much the same...I have wanted to raise chickens for years.(and I have two friends that have raised them for years--so I KNOW it's contagious--LOL) ..talked to hubby thought he would have a fit but he agreed..We were going to start with only 4--my state has minimum of 6--because of people going to farm store and buying just for Easter gifts...so we thought fine 6 is not bad number we can do that. Well when farm store had "chick days" we were no ready for them yet. But the other feed store in town has chicks all summer so I placed order with them--and they were to have 2 breeds in during May---BO and RIR..I decided if 6 is fine--8 is better just encase some don't make it...which can be the case (my logical thinking)..
caf.gif

Well day of pick up came got there found out they actually was to get 4 different breeds that day--BO--RIR--SLW--and EE--but EE did not show up they got BR instead...I thought well instead of 8 in the 2 breeds I picked I will mix and match...
thumbsup.gif

Well you would have thought I was a kid in a candy store--one of my friends wanted me to pick her up a BO and a SLW--so I did..and I'm not sure but I know I have OCD and wanted to try and keep my numbers even....SSOOOO...I left with 4 RIR--6 BO and 2 BR--knowing I was giving her 2--got home and I had counted wrong (CHICKEN MATH AT WORK) instead of 12--had 13...told hubby I messed up and have to go back and pay farm store for extra chick I got..(BIG MISTAKE). Well we went back and I told her needed to pay for one other chick and decided I wanted some SLW too...SSOOO came out with a box of 5 SLW...Hubby could not believe it....

So at end of day--he said so how many did we actually end up with--I said 18...So over night we went from 6--to 18 chickens..But in all fairness--2 are going to a friend...
But she is actually giving me 1 GLW (which is a major one on my wish list)--1 Black Australorp and--1 Speckled Sussex...So I think I have a BAD ADDICTION..

So right now--I have 13 chickens---1 month old--getting 3 more--2 month olds.. (I might be crazy--but at least my chickens love me)
love.gif

WOWEE!! You're going to need a crash course in some kind of math with all that chicken math!! That's got most people I know beat. I hope you don't have an enabler in the family;) LOL

Good luck & keep us all posted as you flood your property with feathered friends!

You know the first step to recovery is acknowledging that you have a problem. I promised my wife that I would get over my chicken addiction and math skills even it took me the rest of my life to do so. Lord only knows how many chickens we will have by the time I'm past this.
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom