Sponsored Post Chicken Math Strikes Again!

I just had a shipment last week of 30 birds. No heat pack was included however the site does say that they'll include extra males for warmth if they feel they need to. 5 of mine died within the credit window. Others have died after it as it took longer for their organs to shut down. They were wisked to a pre-heated brooder with food, and water with save-a-chick. It didn't make a difference. I've now lost 10 of the 30 but the rest look very healthy. The week before that I ordered from Meyer and 20 of 25 died. The only chicks to make it here all alive were from Greenfire Farms who put two heat packs on the bottom. However I have lost 3 from them since. Its a real crap shoot ordering in the winter.

If the chicks died from the stress of the shipment and were in bad shape when they arrived, just give us a call and we can credit you for all the losses or reship them.

Thanks for your business.

Teri

I'm going to send ideal poultry an email, but I figured I'd ask on here as well in the case that someone knows the answer.

They are talking highs of -6 degrees next week and I believe it will be closer to 15 degrees when the chicks are shipped. Will the chicks be able to take the cold? Does ideal poultry ever include heat packs? I don't want to risk the little ones.

Also, I ordered 50 of the cochin bantam assortment as well as 5 silver laced cochin bantams. When they arrive, will the silver laced cochin bantam chicks be separated from the cochin bantam assortment chicks? or will they all be together?
We pack the bantams with extra straw to help with shipment the Silver laced will be in the same box with the others. If you would like us to mark them please let us know and we will mark them with a marker.

Thanks,

Teri

If the chicks died from the stress of the shipment and were in bad shape when they arrived, just give us a call and we can credit you for all the losses or reship them.

Thanks for your business.

Teri

Already emailed the customer service and am awaiting a response. It is super cold and a few losses were expected because of it. Your hatchery actually did much better than the one the week before. Please consider heat packs though as I don't see it as an option.

I havent had an issue with my orders from Ideal. It is the only hatchery I will order from and pass that info along to anyone and everyone that is thinking about ordering chicks. My latest batch of 10 pullets was born the begining of oct and all arrived alive and are happy, healthy and beautiful young ladies. Ideal please keep up the good work. I do like the idea of heat packs though for winter shipping
thumbsup.gif

My chicks will be here tomorrow morning. I am just so excited.
Ideal-should I open up the box at the post office to check for DOA? I wasnt sure if they would need to confirm this?

My chicks will be here tomorrow morning. I am just so excited.
Ideal-should I open up the box at the post office to check for DOA? I wasnt sure if they would need to confirm this?
Unless your shipment is insured, there is really no need to open them at the Post Office.
Teri

I did not insure it. ok I can just rush the little ones home and open there. Thank you so much for responding. I will post some pics tomorrow.

We are in the process of updating the website for next week's specials.

Back Yard subscribers will be the first to know. Visit the website later this afternoon to place your order.

In addition to Bantam Special we will have the following bantam assortments on sale: feather leg, clean leg, Cochin, d'Uccle, Silkie, Dutch, Modern, Old English, Sebright and Wyandotte. The duck breeds we will have on special include assorted ducks, Buff Ducks, Black & White Magpie Ducks, White Pekin Ducks, Fawn Runner Ducks, and Blue Swedish Ducks.

Bantam Special will still be .85 the assortments of specific breeds will be $1.05.

Assorted Ducks will be $1.90 and the specific breeds will be $2.10.

Red and Black Broilers will remain on sale this week at .90 each.

If you have not signed up to get our weekly special, please visit our website and join our mailing list.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom