chicken math strikes again!

PapaChaz

Crowing
9 Years
May 25, 2010
NW Georgia
when DW and I finally managed to locate and buy a place in the country, we knew it wouldn't be long before we got back into having chickens.

Before we had to give up our last place in the country, I had some white leghorns, buff orpingtions, a jersey giant/austrolorp looking crossbreed and a couple of americaunas. I told her I really liked have the brown blue and white eggs, and would like to go for that again.

A couple of weeks ago, I found a local breeder and picked up 8 straight run Blue Americaunas. At 3 weeks, 2 of them are already starting to grow a comb. Not a 100% sure sign they're roos, but a good one. The daughter and son in law don't have a roo currently, so if it turns out I have 2, they'll get one.

So that left me still needing brown and white egg layers. well after today's trip to TSC, not anymore!

They had some white leghorn pullets, and just today got in some black austrolorp pullets. We picked up 3 of each....

the grand daughter had to hold the box on the drive home
put em in the brooder with the 3 week olds. Wasn't really worried about them picking on the littler ones, but they didn't really care if they stepped all over them to get to the water or food, LOL I put up a divider until the wee ones get a little size on them. I put a water fount in, yes the bottles on it now but I wanted to get them some water ASAP, of course the bigger ones had to come check it out.

grand daughter couldn't wait to hold one of the babies! She's partial to the black austrolorps.

thumbsup.gif

I adore the aussies too.
highfive.gif

uploaded a video of them playing with the end of an ear of corn. I didn't even have to teach them to eat it! Come to think of it, I didn't have to teach them to go to the feeder and eat, or go to the bowl of chick grit either.......

man, these chickens sure are a lot smarter than some of us humans give em credit for! But then, how did they survive at all if we humans weren't teaching them what to eat and what not to eat!!!!
0.jpg

Cutest pictures! I mean, chickens have been domesticated for 3,000 years, but they obviously survived without us before that :)

my point exactly! I've been around animals of all kinds all my life and I've never once had to teach any of them how to survive, they knew to eat and drink when they got to this world. Funny, we as humans pretty much have to be taught everything and hand tended to for the first year of life (or close to it) yet I have seen posts on here saying WE have to teach the chickens what to eat, how to drink, how to scratch in the dirt. I don't mean to sound like I'm making fun of anyone, but it does make me giggle sometimes.....LOL

Back
Top Bottom