Chicken Math

A.T. Hagan :

Chicken math is actually very simple, but it involves symbolic logic.

T = equals the number of birds you start out thinking you want. But as as that is only a thought exercise it has no basis in observable reality.
A = equals the number of birds available to you for purchase or for free
I = equals the strength of the impulse you feel when you suddenly realize that you have access to more birds than you initially thought you wanted.
X = is number of birds that will cause your outraged spouse, parents, or significant other to hit you in the head if you bring home ONE MORE bird.
G = equals the number of foot rubs, home cooked meals, dishes washed, clothes picked up, rooms cleaned, and honey-dos accomplished you have done for the person represented by X.

Thus chicken math works this way.

X = ((T*A+I)-1) + G

You see, it's all very simple. The hard part is finding their G-spot.

gig.gif
lau.gif

A.T. Hagan :

Chicken math is actually very simple, but it involves symbolic logic.

T = equals the number of birds you start out thinking you want. But as as that is only a thought exercise it has no basis in observable reality.
A = equals the number of birds available to you for purchase or for free
I = equals the strength of the impulse you feel when you suddenly realize that you have access to more birds than you initially thought you wanted.
X = is number of birds that will cause your outraged spouse, parents, or significant other to hit you in the head if you bring home ONE MORE bird.
G = equals the number of foot rubs, home cooked meals, dishes washed, clothes picked up, rooms cleaned, and honey-dos accomplished you have done for the person represented by X.

Thus chicken math works this way.

X = ((T*A+I)-1) + G

You see, it's all very simple. The hard part is finding their G-spot.

Well said!
clap.gif

My chicken math worked like this....

No more than 4 hens, with no roosters, as small hutch style coop and a 4x8 run.......

= a small hutch style coop, a 4x8 raised coop with wheels, 13 hens, two roosters and a 20X25 run.....

And even the dh says he would like a speckled sussex, and you know you can't get just one chick or only 6 eggs......

I only count the hens that are currently laying. So 3 batam hens=1, roosters don't count. 9 hens, but only 4 laying=not enough eggs, need more hens. so 15 birds=4 laying, still needs more for eggs!
wink.png
Or something like that. I haven't been in school for 20 years and with the age of technology, I have no idea how to count anymore. All I know is that I need MORE.

Chicken math is when you have 5 pens that DH thinks should hold 5 birds each. But you've met a breeder who'd keep at least 12 in the same space. So you keep 6-8 in each pen, but tell DH 2-4 don't count because "They're young still." Even if 'young' is a relative term that means 3 months younger than the other birds in the pen.

Chicken math is also fuzzy logic: I agreed to put the bator away and not hatch eggs until 1/1/11. But I have 3 broody hens. I am not hatching any eggs. Hope he buys that when the chicks show up.....

Hmm....lets see......I have
5 layers
2 seramas*
1 polish pullet*
1 leghorn pullet*
3 silkies* 1 of which is laying
1 silkie roo who is going this week*
6+ duck eggs on the way*

I'm assuming * don't count?

Quote:
But, at least you are selling some to make up for the chicks your broodies will be hatching!!!

Quote:
But, at least you are selling some to make up for the chicks your broodies will be hatching!!!

Um, 3 mature birds and 3 young birds to LadyHawk barely get me to the original target holding capacity. The chicks, if they hatch, would toss me into the overload bracket again.
hide.gif

I think another formula to chicken math is to count the number of breeds rather than the number of beaks. That works for me. AND, if the breed is the same name as a state or a country, it does not count either ....
examples:
Delaware
New Hampshire
Rhode Island (reds or whites)
Iowa Blue
Jersey Giant (New Jersey)
Buckeye (same as Ohio)
Plymouth Rock (close enough)
etc....

Back
Top Bottom