Chicken Math

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by helloroe, Jul 14, 2010.

1. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    Has anyone else noticed that depending whom they are sharing with is how they count how many chickens they have?

Spouse=A few less so he does not know about the new ones you snuck in whie he was gone. (Grateful he never complains when he does his own headcount though :) )
    Mother =About half so she does not continue on her rant about you having all these feathered things in the yard.
    Friends without chickens =The same as your mother
    Friends with chickens=Admit every single one and discuss the ones you want to get!

2. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    [​IMG]
    How true this is!!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So true!

I find that my Official Chicken Count to my husband includes only existing adult "permanent residents", not chicks or youngsters being grown out and whom I don't know *exactly* how many I'll keep and how many will be sold or put in the freezer. Also I don't count the turkeys, who are of course turkeys not chickens and how often does DH bother saying "chickens AND turkeys" when he is asking or complaining about their numbers? So that is not dishonest at all. LOL. I think he prefers it that way actually [​IMG]

Pat

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:No spouse or mother here, but I'd put "Land-lady" in the mother category's quantity...... Everything else is spot on!!

5. water4two

water4two Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    This is so true! [​IMG] The spouse math is priceless!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My DH doesn't ask, and I don't volunteer the information. Up until 2 weeks ago, he thought we only had 2 roosters - we have 4 at different ages. The other day he asked why there is a blue egg. Well DUH buddy, we have pure Ameraucana's, they're supposed to be that way!

For my Mom, I usually only tell her how many are laying. When she asks how many you have, and you cringe at fessing up, then you know chicken math has a hold on you.

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Chickens? What chickens? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by