Chicken Math?

i only started with 1 chicken last year she needed friends so i got 5 more we lost 3 of them so bought more and now have 25
th.gif
i tell my hubby i dnt like odd numbers so have to get more lol but end up buy more so i have an odd number again i think i may need to stop looking at chickens before i have 100's of them not that i would mind hehe

Last edited:
Well in the Spring that is this past spring we were going to get 4 chicks and somehow came home with 6, two of three different breeds. Then 2 weeks later added 3 silkies to the mix that we just love. We ended up with 4 roosters at least two for sure and 2 are possibles partridge cochin roos...soo now we rehomed 1 roo and down to 8 now we need to rehome two more roos(partridge cochins) we are keeping 1 roo...So that will get us down to 6, but then in febuary we are going to get some silkies and a polish or two for a total of 5 more bringing us up too 11..oh and I convinced my dear mother-in-law that we should get a couple hatching eggs for my girls to observe as a homeschool science project..so that will be 13 if they hatch correctly. Wonder if I could get the hatching eggs in time to hatch right as we get the day olds hmmm....So needless to say we need to expand our coop for sure. LOL We just love our silkies!
smile.png
big_smile.png
tongue.png

I wanted 6 hens. 4 of those EE and the other 2 black copper maran. I got 20 eggs in ebay and worked in a homemade incubator. Then I read was not easy to get chicks from ebay eggs...had some weird spikes in temperature in the incubator so I was almost sure I was going to end with 0 chickens so i ordered from ideal 11 chickens just in case some died on me and kept working with the incubator. Those 11 chickens came with a lot of shipping peanuts for a total of 24 chickens...then I hatch from my incubator 7 more chickens. Lost 2 of the hatchery chickens...but never really counted them.....Today, as i watched my month and a half babys roost for the first time I counted them....How i got from 6 to 29? I got no idea. Just finished my coop and run. Can't believe I just started to dream about making 2 more coop and runs to keep the breeds separated. One for the easter eggers (and some other hens breeds), one for the copper marans, and one for the bachelor pad. then I got scared....

Chicken math I'm getting good at.

I'm working on figuring out coop math...

We have one full size coop, one rabbit hutch we're going to adapt for broodies, and one small one for a few bachelor roos. We got given an old fireworks stand on wheels, and will soon be adapting it as another coop, possibly to raise meaties.
D.gif

The thing is, I know where to get an almost unlimited number of pallets... and pallet wood makes great lumber for building more coops.
clap.gif
The only problem is, I only have so much acreage available for coops 'cause I'm not about to give up my garden space and those fresh veggies.
droolin.gif

Which brings me to wondering how a two- or three-story coop would work...
lau.gif

I started my chicken experience 10 months ago.........
bought 4 chicks and two ducklings
wanted more......was supposed to get 6 free chicks off craigslist, showed up and it was 12.....aparently the guy knew about chicken math too
two of the original were roos along with all 12 of the others soooo only two hens! need more chickens
wanted two more ducks, got 7 more now nine ducks
DH wanted a turkey so I bought him one
he got two more from craigslist now three turkeys
Freezer camp began slowly dwindling the number of roos
Meanwhile.........DH bought me an incubator for my birthday so we could hatch some of our eggs
set five eggs hatch five eggs...three hens
set six duck eggs but only hatched one so now ten ducks
set fifteen chicken eggs, only thirteen left in bator so we will have to see how that turns out
neighbor gave me three chickens
total count.......thirteen eggs, currently six roosters seven hens, three turkeys, ten ducks..............started with a coop for the original four chickens.........obviously i have expanded lol.........and need to again

Hubby and I agreed on four chickens. I went to a local guy that hatches out chicks to get four Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks. While there, I noticed a second pen full of baby chicks, they happened to be Easter Egger chicks. So we came home with four of those too.

A few weeks later I realized at least one of those chicks was a boy. So I went to get two Buff Orpington chicks that were sexed female at hatch. When I got there, I was told there were only three chicks left, one was a boy. I couldn't leave him by himself, so I took all three chickens.

Now, back to my original four SLW...... three of them are looking pretty roo-ish to me. So I went and got seven more Buff Orps that were hatched the same day as the three I had bought a few days prior. My four chicks have turned into eighteen chicks. But I swear to my DH we only have THREE chicks.. SLW, EE and BO.

That leaves me still able to get one more chick to bring me up to the four we agreed upon!

Coop Math is similar to Chicken Math. I was going to start out with a 4x6 coop, but that was before I brought my little fuzzy butts home. Since I had more than the agreed upon 4 chicks, I decided I needed to go a bit larger and ordered a 6x8. Then I saw the 8x10 wasn't much more money.. but wait.. the 10x16 was only a little more than the 10x12 so lets go with that one. I had to call the shed company back twice to change the size.

havent even gotten our chicks and already trying to talk the wife into getting a peacock she says no way awwww man told her think of it as a super rooster to protect the girls no sense of humor

No chicken math for me! Well perhaps a bit. When we went to the feed store, we meant to get 4. 4! But then there were six breeds. So we got one of each. Then one died. So that's five. That is how big our coop is made for. Let's keep it at five, okay?

So my original 6 turned in to 8-9 which has now turned in to 14-15 chickens. Got 6 Buff Orphington pullets today and will be getting 2 French Copper Marans this Saturday hopefully. The hatchery order that started it all will be coming May 8th.... :)

Back
Top Bottom