Chicken math

In reading the responses here ( especially the response from n3kms) I am seriously wondering what I am getting myself into.  I am a newbie as well. My plan is to start with 6 hens and one rooster. I have 31 dogs so it is highly unlikely that the rooster would bother my neighbors. I do plan on limiting my flock to just 15 but knowing how often I lie to myself, my coop will actually hold 20. My wife, currently looking over my shoulder, just asked: “how many will the second coop you build hold?” LOL, She who must be obeyed, knows me well. I just retired just under a year ago so I thought raising chickens and gardening would be a great way to keep me busy. But the more I read on BYC, I may have to rethink the garden.

One of the reasons I started with chickens was to provide good compost for my garden. And the hickeys can eat the less than desirable veggies from the garden. At least that is what I thought. But the chicken raising has developed a life of its own. I've been doing deep litter in a dirt floor coop and as soon as we get a couple of dry days the litter is coming out of the coop and going into the gardens and I will put new pine shavings in to be turned to compost for next spring or maybe fall is it accumulates fast enough now that I have all those chickens. Chickens AND gardening! A wonderful relationship.

I love this chicken math! I'm new just stated with 15 a few weeks ago and I'm already planning on my next purchase! My fiancé thinks i have lost my mind! Who ever said it was like crack is so very right!

In November I ordered my April 6th hatching. Its too long of a wait. In January I went to a chicken show and came home with 2 chickens. One turned out to be a rooster and I'm looking for a new friend. The April 6th babies probably won't be laying eggs by the winter so I'm getting three 16 week old hens in 2 weeks because I don't want to wait that long for eggs. That puts me at 10 and only 1 is currently living here. My 4 year old wants another chicken that looked like a rooster. If I go to that farm, I can't get only one baby chick so I have an eye on 3 different breeds. Only thing that stopped me from going to agway today was that I don't want to buy another ecoglow brooder

I started out with four and now I'm almost to 30!
yippiechickie.gif

In November I ordered my April 6th hatching. Its too long of a wait. In January I went to a chicken show and came home with 2 chickens. One turned out to be a rooster and I'm looking for a new friend. The April 6th babies probably won't be laying eggs by the winter so I'm getting three 16 week old hens in 2 weeks because I don't want to wait that long for eggs. That puts me at 10 and only 1 is currently living here. My 4 year old wants another chicken that looked like a rooster. If I go to that farm, I can't get only one baby chick so I have an eye on 3 different breeds. Only thing that stopped me from going to agway today was that I don't want to buy another ecoglow brooder

The Barred Rocks I got last hear on April 16th started laying at 20 weeks and laid all winter. But you might have one of those breeds that are slow......just keep telling yourself that anyway. Makes for better chicken math.

I always had a problem with math, chicken math is even worse. Lol. We went in to just get food for the dogs and mini mules ... came out with their food plus chick feed, 7 chicks and 2 ducklings!

Whew. I'm glad you are all the way over in Kansas. But....have you heard of "shipped eggs"? Lol Actually I have been studying up on breeding and how to try to improve a breed's genetics. I want to do a good dual purpose flock and make it the best it can be. I have chosen the Black Java, partly because it sounds like it is already what I have in mind but has been pushed aside and not that many are left. If I get a really good flock going in a few years I think there will be a good market.

I've had enough bad luck with shipped eggs! Not sure if I will ship eggs, maybe in a couple of years (who knows!). I still need to get my flock established. I have Lavender Ameraucanas (as well as EE's), Buff Brahmas (soon to aquire blacks), English Orpingtons, and soon to be my pride and joy, Scots Dumpys, to be recived in July!!!.

I too want to get more into genitics. I have a crazy dream to create Dumpy Ameraucanas!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom