Chicken mating thread !!!

Well roosters "dance" is to show the hens they want to mate,the rooster drags a wings on the ground and walk around them and uselly when a hen puts her head down to drink or eat he will jump on her and mate. Roosters don't have a penis and hens don't have vaginas,they just each have one hole and when the rooster mates he shoots a sperm glob on the hens rear end and and it goes in and fertilizes the egg. The rooster jumps on the hens back and bites her comb/head for balance.

That wing drag and walk is a strut. I f the hen is interested she squats for him.

I wish my roosters would start doing their job soon. I supposedly bought 5 Australorp cockerals with my order of 45 pullets. All of my flock is 5 months old now and I even got 14 eggs yesterday from my girls, but I still can't tell which ones are the boys.

Every time I go into the run I have a good number of my girls who squat for me every time I get near them. I pet them a bit and they shake themselves off and go on. My son almost stepped on one because instead of getting out of his way when he went in, the pullet squatted down in front of him ready to be serviced.

I was sure that I had narrowed down some of my Australorp boys from the 14 Australorp girls that I have, but then one that I was "sure" was a boy because he had longer tail feathers squatted down for me too. None of them have tried to crow yet. I am starting to wonder if the hatchery screwed up and gave me all girls instead of the boys that I ordered.

Last edited:
I wish my roosters would start doing their job soon. I supposedly bought 5 Australorp cockerals with my order of 45 pullets. All of my flock is 5 months old now and I even got 14 eggs yesterday from my girls, but I still can't tell which ones are the boys.

Every time I go into the run I have a good number of my girls who squat for me every time I get near them. I pet them a bit and they shake themselves off and go on. My son almost stepped on one because instead of getting out of his way when he went in, the pullet squatted down in front of him ready to be serviced.

I was sure that I had narrowed down some of my Australorp boys from the 14 Australorp girls that I have, but then one that I was "sure" was a boy because he had longer tail feathers squatted down for me too. None of them have tried to crow yet. I am starting to wonder if the hatchery screwed up and gave me all girls instead of the boys that I ordered.
Pullets grow tail feathers before cockerels. My roosters didn't have full tail feathers until they were at least six months old, some breeds take as long as a year.
Color and size of comb and waddles are better indicators of sex than tail feathers.

Pullets grow tail feathers before cockerels. My roosters didn't have full tail feathers until they were at least six months old, some breeds take as long as a year.
Color and size of comb and waddles are better indicators of sex than tail feathers.
Thanks for the input. I will keep being patient and watch for "rooster" sign. I very much doubt that the hatchery messed up and sent me pullets instead of cockerels. I really want to hatch some of my own next spring.

Thanks for the input. I will keep being patient and watch for "rooster" sign. I very much doubt that the hatchery messed up and sent me pullets instead of cockerels. I really want to hatch some of my own next spring.

I'm working on hatching my own too.
There are lots of hatching threads. One is called "Incubators Anonymous".
Best of luck with the chicken mating. =)
Feel free to PM me.

Usually it would be very apparent by 5 months (more like 5-6 weeks) if you have any cockerels or not just by comb and wattle development.
Cockerels mature faster than pullets and would have been trying to mate them before they started to lay.

Usually it would be very apparent by 5 months (more like 5-6 weeks) if you have any cockerels or not just by comb and wattle development.
Cockerels mature faster than pullets and would have been trying to mate them before they started to lay.
Well, now I am confused because i was sure that I would see a lot more difference by this time than I am. I am not seeing much if any difference at 5 months between any of my Australorps to distinguish the boys from the girls. I must be one of the few people on the site that I see is actually hoping to have some roosters... and if the hatchery screwed up and gave me 5 pullets instead of cockerels, that would be very, very rare indeed, too.

Back
Top Bottom