Chicken may have eaten something she cant pass.

yureidesu

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
She ate a rubber or silicon piece from a pan (the thumb bit on the handle of a pan) They must have pulled it off and I'm unsure if they just played with it or ate it. it's about the size of a thumb and probably silicone.
Will this pass? Should I expect to see it in poop? I'm not sure the grits can tear that into small bits as it's really soft and squishy. These chickens are family-like dogs so this is really spooky. Just yesterday we took one to the vet for the sour crop so that's how much we care for these girls. Can't afford a vet and from what I read it may be a lost cause?

It will probably remain in the crop if it ate it. It may or may not cause problems. Nothing much you can do but wait and see if it has problems.

She ate a rubber or silicon piece from a pan (the thumb bit on the handle of a pan) They must have pulled it off and I'm unsure if they just played with it or ate it. it's about the size of a thumb and probably silicone.
Will ss? Should I expect to see it in poop? I'm not sure the grits can tear that into small bits as it's really soft and squishy. These chickens are family-like dogs so this is really spooky. Just yesterday we took one to the vet for the sour crop so that's how much we care for these girls. Can't afford a vet and from what I read it may be a lost cause?

It will probably remain in the crop if it ate it. It may or may not cause problems. Nothing much you can do but wait and see if it has problems.
SOOO scary. She is the coolest chicken around. :( fingers crossed! Hope she just played with it like I have seen them do with other things. Is there no way it can just pass through? I don't know how the crop and gizzard work. ;-; The thing she may have eaten is the size of a thumb. I heard small things can pass but no one says what "small" is... The thing is maybe 1 by 1.5 inch 2 at most.

Last edited:
SOOO scary. She is the coolest chicken around. :( fingers crossed! Hope she just played with it like I have seen them do with other things. Is there no way it can just pass through? I don't know how the crop and gizzard work. ;-; The thing she may have eaten is the size of a thumb. I heard small things can pass but no one says what "small" is... The thing is maybe 1 by 1.5 inch 2 at most.
The crop is a storage area. Things can plug up the crop. Chickens eat all sorts of stuff they shouldn't. Most stay in the crop and that's why sometimes chickens get crop problems. I doubt a bird would eat something that large, but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom