Chicken Mental Issues

tracy5409

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2020
Hi! I have a 3 year old hen that I've rescued from the brink of death. She was an 8 pound chicken withered to 2 pounds. She wasn't eating on her own or drinking. I was tube feeding her supplements, but she wasn't getting enough for at least a week. Then I decided to tube feed her Critical Care 50cc twice a day & 8oz of Pedialyte a day while giving her an antibiotic for 7 days. She began to eat & drink on her own & she is healthy again. The vet calls her a miracle! However I've noticed that she isn't quite right in the head. She doesn't scratch for food, she misses the step when jumping up or down, & she seems slower than she was before. The saddest thing is that she doesn't watch us through the back door anymore. Is this normal after a severe illness? Does it take time for hens to return to themselves? Does anyone know how long it takes? I miss my ol' Rosie & I want her back to her happy self. Thank you!

Hi! I have a 3 year old hen that I've rescued from the brink of death. She was an 8 pound chicken withered to 2 pounds. She wasn't eating on her own or drinking. I was tube feeding her supplements, but she wasn't getting enough for at least a week. Then I decided to tube feed her Critical Care 50cc twice a day & 8oz of Pedialyte a day while giving her an antibiotic for 7 days. She began to eat & drink on her own & she is healthy again. The vet calls her a miracle! However I've noticed that she isn't quite right in the head. She doesn't scratch for food, she misses the step when jumping up or down, & she seems slower than she was before. The saddest thing is that she doesn't watch us through the back door anymore. Is this normal after a severe illness? Does it take time for hens to return to themselves? Does anyone know how long it takes? I miss my ol' Rosie & I want her back to her happy self. Thank you!
You sure you didnt overdoes your chicken? May be a mental illnesses or a vitman defency have you tried neterodrench?

A lovely comeback story for your hen, until current of course. I don't have enough experience in stuff like this, but have you had her tested for Marecks at all? This is the only thing that comes to mind since it can affect the nervous system overtime. I suppose it could also have been a reason for her initial decline, unless you had that tested too?
I hope things look up for her.

You mentioned the vet. What did he have to say about your hen? Did they do a fecal float test for internal parasites? Did he mention anything about vitamin and/or mineral deficiencies? Questions questions.

You mentioned the vet. What did he have to say about your hen? Did they do a fecal float test for internal parasites? Did he mention anything about vitamin and/or mineral deficiencies? Questions questions.
He says that her long-term prognosis isn't good, so he doesn't want to run a bunch of expensive tests. But I think I should. It does sound like a vitamin deficiency. Too many questions!

A lovely comeback story for your hen, until current of course. I don't have enough experience in stuff like this, but have you had her tested for Marecks at all? This is the only thing that comes to mind since it can affect the nervous system overtime. I suppose it could also have been a reason for her initial decline, unless you had that tested too?
I hope things look up for her.
There isn’t a test for Mareks - apart from a biopsy I think. Basically diagnosed by symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom