Chicken Missing Butt Feathers

bychicken1

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2021
One of my chickens is missing all of her feathers (fluff, I guess not really feathers) on her butt...

The chickens peck each other a lot, we've been trying to stop it, but I'm not sure if they are pecking her there...

what is happening?

What is the size of your coop/run, and many chickens? What do you feed? Who much protein? Can we see a picture of your coop and roost setup? Do you let your chickens sleep in nesting boxes?
We have 8 chickens (forgot the size but i'll see what it is in a bit) We feed them really high protien feed, we don't let them sleep in nesting boxes and they never had.

We have a perch for the chickens but they sleep on a ceiling rafter higher up for some reason,...

Okay, my first thoughts were 1) Canibaisum, 2) Sleeping in their poo, and 3) Protein deficiency. Can we see a picture of her booty? A picture of the coop may help as well to determine size. Is it a purchased coop or something you made, if purchased, were did you buy it from?
We built the coop ourselves... can't take a picture right now (nighttime) but it didn't seem like she was pecked, it wasn't red but i don't know.

Okay, my first thoughts were 1) Canibaisum, 2) Sleeping in their poo, and 3) Protein deficiency. Can we see a picture of her booty? A picture of the coop may help as well to determine size. Is it a purchased coop or something you made, if purchased, were did you buy it from?
found a picture of the coop from a few weeks ago:
Screenshot 2021-04-02 173809.png

Do you know the dimensions? Is it an 8x8 or 10x10 run? Are they constantly in there, or do they get to free range? I think the problem is boredom, and cannibalism. I have an article in the shared book marks part of my profile that has a good list of boredom busters, you can see if that will help entertain them.
We let them free range, but not really often at all. When we let them free range we stay there and watch them because there are lots of hawks, vultures, and one bald eagle in the area, the hawks nest is actually in the backyard next to ours.

We also thought it might be boredom so we started giving them things. We got them a peck block, they peck it all the time but they still peck each other sometimes. We're trying to get them more things... any sugestions?

We have 8 chickens (forgot the size but i'll see what it is in a bit) We feed them really high protien feed, we don't let them sleep in nesting boxes and they never had.

We have a perch for the chickens but they sleep on a ceiling rafter higher up for some reason,...

Back
Top Bottom