Chicken missing with out a trace- Who or what took her?

citychicks13

Chirping
Dec 19, 2015
North Carolina
This morning when I went to feed and let out my chickens I discovered Ms. Nugget my Silkie hen was missing. Here is the problem there were no feather, blood, holes or claw marks on or around the coop and run. The most confusing part is Nugget and her mate Gidgit were locked in the coop and all the latches were still hooked. What is weirder is that Nugget went missing none of my other are hurt or missing. The only place of entry a predator could have gotten in was threw the nest boxes, but nothing was disturbed(cobwebs we intact) and no feathers or blood were any where in or around the coop or yard.
What type of predator could of done this? Please help me figure this out to protect the others.

Ms. Nugget has been found!
wee.gif
We found her at animal control far from my house. She was apparently found abandoned on a dirt road.

That is a real mystery!! The only thing I could think of is a person might have taken her from the coop and then re-latched it. Do you have any neighbors who would have done such a thing??

A friend told me that something similar happened to a neighbor of ours. She went to work and her chickens were put up securely. When she came home several of her Dominiques were missing, no blood, no feathers, no breach of any kind. The week before a man tried to buy them from her and she wouldn't sell so she thinks they were stolen by him since she could find no evidence of a predator. :( Was someone wanting your silkie? Don't know if this could be but your story just sounds so similar to what happened to her.

That is a real mystery!! The only thing I could think of is a person might have taken her from the coop and then re-latched it. Do you have any neighbors who would have done such a thing??

We live on the back side of a gated school campus, so no neighbors. Also the dogs did not bark at all during the night. The only upset animals were the polish that sleep out side sometimes and her mate Gidgit.

The only thing i could possibly think of is a opossum, but i still dont see how that can leave no trace of an attack or open a nest box. If a preadetor did do it would probably kill all your chickens. Since silkeis are small birds maybye it got out through a small opining or you missed closing something. My last thought is that you probably forgot to make sure all your chickens are in the coop before night, so it mightve got swept away by a hawk or something.

The only thing i could possibly think of is a opossum, but i still dont see how that can leave no trace of an attack or open a nest box. If a preadetor did do it would probably kill all your chickens. Since silkeis are small birds maybye it got out through a small opining or you missed closing something. My last thought is that you probably forgot to make sure all your chickens are in the coop before night, so it mightve got swept away by a hawk or something.

My Silkies stay in a coop with covered run and are not allow to free range so hawk is out. She was defiantly their last nite as I carried her into the coop with her mate. We though that maybe an opossum did it but the lack of feathers and blood has us stumped.

someone just recently stole a Chocolate Orpington and 25 chicks in Texas from a Run it is possible.

Our friends also thought something was wrong with their hens as they were getting no eggs. Turned out homeless people were taking all the eggs and when they moved the chicken tractor back near the house the thefts stopped

That has to be a person.If the latches were still closed, with no evidence, what else could it be?

Back
Top Bottom