Chicken molting/diarrhea

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
Good morning,

Just had a chicken that is at the end of her molt, her feathers are just coming back now, but this morning she was fluffed up and had white watery diarrhea, could this be related to her molt? I’m worried that my chickens might be too far into their molt to deworm them right now, but I just want to cover my bases.

You could deworm with Valbazen 0.08 ml per pound once and again in 10 days, but I would make sure that she is not dehydrated. Offer plain water, a dose of Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes with vitamins, and some cooked egg and watery chicken feed.

You could deworm with Valbazen 0.08 ml per pound once and again in 10 days, but I would make sure that she is not dehydrated. Offer plain water, a dose of Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes with vitamins, and some cooked egg and watery chicken feed.
i’ll give that a shot, she also seems to be losing weight and when i did a general health check her crop is pretty large for this point in the day so i will also monitor for that

ok so quick update, i gave her some food and water last night to make sure she wasn’t bottom of the pecking order, but this morning when i checked her crop is was still pretty full, smaller, but not empty like it should be. this tells me she’s got a slow crop because of something internal, so i’m gonna be giving her some of the goat dewormer we have, but keeping her with her sisters and just dosing everyone to be safe.

checked her crop this morning, squishy and feels full or water, i think her underlying issues are causing her to develop sour crop, going to withhold food and water so it can empty

I would have recommended SafeGuard (fenbendazole) liquid goat wormer or horse paste for worming her, but it can affect feather regrowth during molting. Valbazen doesn’t. The goat pellets is not a very accurate way of worming chickens, since they may not eat the right amount. That is why most use the liquid or paste for chickens, and give it orally, undiluted, 1/4 ml per pound. It is best to give it for 5 straight days in case of capillary worms.

I would try giving a tsp of chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck, and then massage her crop several times a day if it is firm or doughy. If it is puffy and full of liquid, don’t massage. Smell her breath when touching the crop for a sour odor.

I would have recommended SafeGuard (fenbendazole) liquid goat wormer or horse paste for worming her, but it can affect feather regrowth during molting. Valbazen doesn’t. The goat pellets is not a very accurate way of worming chickens, since they may not eat the right amount. That is why most use the liquid or paste for chickens, and give it orally, undiluted, 1/4 ml per pound. It is best to give it for 5 straight days in case of capillary worms.

I would try giving a tsp of chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck, and then massage her crop several times a day if it is firm or doughy. If it is puffy and full of liquid, don’t massage. Smell her breath when touching the crop for a sour odor.
i used liquid dewormer, just mixed into the feed. i know it’s not the most effective way, but i’m planning to dose the chicken directly, this is just so some of the chickens get a preventative worming just in case

her crop feels full of water so i’ve decided not to massage, but i’m going to pick up some apple cider vinegar and yogurt today and give her that

i used liquid dewormer, just mixed into the feed. i know it’s not the most effective way, but i’m planning to dose the chicken directly, this is just so some of the chickens get a preventative worming just in case
Dose her correctly if you know this is not the most effective way.
Dose her at .25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

If you are going to de-worm the rest of the flock, then dose each bird individually at the same dose above. Guessing is not effective, just do it the right way the first time and you have no worries.

As for her crop not emptying, read this article in it's entirety, including the comments section. These are the methods I use when treating crop problems.
Hopefully you can treat the symptoms and get the crop issue resolved. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

edited to correct spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom