Chicken Molting or Needs Help?

vcqKRufF

Hatching
Nov 2, 2018
Hi! First time chicken owner here! (Please tell me if I posted on the wrong forum)

I'm living in cold New England area and one of my Plymouth Barred Rocks lost a lot of neck, chest, side, a few tail feathers, and butt feathers. None of my girls have molted and now, she's the only one who's losing feathers. They're about one and a half years old now.

She also has been behaving oddly for the last week and a half or so. I keep them penned up in the runner since we have foxes and hawks around so when I do let them out, I don't know why she doesn't scratch and is not as active as the others do. She'll leave the runner but then she'll walk aimlessly looking around for something and always seems to lag behind the pack. She still gets excited when she sees I have worms and moves away when I try to touch her (normal behavior for her).

Is it normal for chickens to molt in early November, are the others bullying her, or is she sick? I already lost one 4-5 months ago and I don't want to lose another.

Sounds like a late molt, the typical "fall molt" can be anywhere from late summer to winter. Do you see pin feathers on those bare patches? That's a new coat of feathers coming in.

They don't feel great when molting and don't like being touched. The others may pick on her bare spots or pin feathers a little, but as long as there's not too much blood drawn just leave them be.

Is it normal for chickens to molt in early November, are the others bullying her, or is she sick? I already lost one 4-5 months ago and I don't want to lose another.
Was the other one lost to disease?

Welcome to BYC!
Great first post and yes, it's in the correct sub-forum.

Back
Top Bottom