Chicken molting & walking sideways

Sharoon

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 23, 2013
So I have a Black Star who is having a really bad molting. She also starting walking sideways and close to the ground. It has been about 8 or 9 days now. I also have one other hen that is molting at the same time but is not doing the funny walking. She eats very well but doesn't seem to drink enough water. Her crow looks good and she is pooping.
I saw another article on this where it was due to molting and went away. I was wondering how long did it take to go away? Praying she doesn't have something else going on. I have three hens all together and the other two are fine.
Thanks,
Sharoon

Birds in hard molts are very uncomfortable and some seem to be in pain. It should go away as her feathers come in better. If it doesn't than it would need further looking at.

It probably wouldn't hurt to give her some Poultry Cell vitamins 2 ml orally or in some food daily. I hope it isn't anything more serious. Is she having any odd neck movement or twisting? I use some chicken feed mixed with a lot of water, a bit of plain yogurt, and some raw or cooked egg, and make a mash for my hens occasionally. The more water, the more fluids you might get her to drink.

I have this very thing going on now...hoping it's just a "hard molt" and nothing more. My girl is inside for now though cause she's a hot mess. Just about lost all her feathers, walking close to the ground and sideways, and squawks like crazy if I touch her. I'm giving extra protein and extra vitamins in scrambled eggs hoping this helps her. Poor thing, she looks pitiful. 😢

So I have a Black Star who is having a really bad molting. She also starting walking sideways and close to the ground. It has been about 8 or 9 days now. I also have one other hen that is molting at the same time but is not doing the funny walking. She eats very well but doesn't seem to drink enough water. Her crow looks good and she is pooping.
I saw another article on this where it was due to molting and went away. I was wondering how long did it take to go away? Praying she doesn't have something else going on. I have three hens all together and the other two are fine.
Thanks,
Sharoon
Hello I wanted to reply to your post I have a naked neck turken and her name is Ren she's a black laced after noticing her walking close to the ground and sideways I decided to come to backyard chicken I always come to them for questions and answers it seems to me that your chicken is doing the same thing mine is so it can't be just a coincidence I believe my Ren is in pain she is in the middle of her hard molt I say that she's in pain because when I went to pet her she went right to the ground and made awful sounds she has pin feathers absolutely everywhere that look extremely painful they feel like spikes I did put a little heater lamp in the coop that if she wants to she can go underneath it I don't know if that's the proper thing to do or not but her being a turken she didn't have a lot of feathers in the first place LOL

IMG_20221210_090747829.jpg

Thanks,
Sharoon

Back
Top Bottom