Chicken Molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chucka, Nov 14, 2010.

1. chucka

chucka New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    I am new to the art of raising chickens. My 3 year old Rhode Island red has plucked the majority of her feathers but acts the same as she always has. No odd behaviour . She free ranges on our southeast minnesota property and lives with my two goats that she has adopted. She has stopped laying and has begun to crow like a rooster on occasion. I am considering putting her in a spare dog crate in my home and keeping her warm indoors during the winter months but I don't want her to become stressed and lose any more feathers. Our local farm vet is also stumped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mary is a great member of our family and we would hate to lose her.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Have you actually seen your hen plucking her feathers or could they have they fallen out? Sounds as if your hen is going through a molt, which many do this time of year.

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Sounds like she's molting to me. [​IMG]

5. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    Your chicken is just molting. The older feather will fall out and the newer ones will grow to prepare her from the cold weather thats coming. If thats is your only chicken, please do keep her inside the house like you said.

6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

If she is your only chicken than I would say she is lonely. Chickens need other chickens to hang out with to be happy! On top of that she may just be molting. Here is a picture of one of my hens that is molting right now. She is an extreme case! Good luck with your hen [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chucka

chucka New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    Thank you all for your help. And the picture is exactly how Mary looks, chickee, except the color. What a great forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by