Chicken moral question

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the discussion about the dogs, they have very little to do with all of this. Were we live having a free range bord is not an option. A pen her is to protect them from cars, and anything else that can hurt them. Not to mention since legally our city doesn't allow chickens, the city could stop turning a blind eye and start enforcing the law just because this one lady's chickens are getting out. The squeaky wheel gets the most grease, if people start complaining the city will enforce it across the board, then we all lose.

An update. I been down to her house three times, two times no one answered and one other some other lady answered but didn't seem overly concern, she had said the home owner would return on Saturday (one of the days I went down there with no answer). I have yet to hear from the lady.

For the discussion about the dogs, they have very little to do with all of this. Were we live having a free range bord is not an option. A pen her is to protect them from cars, and anything else that can hurt them. Not to mention since legally our city doesn't allow chickens, the city could stop turning a blind eye and start enforcing the law just because this one lady's chickens are getting out. The squeaky wheel gets the most grease, if people start complaining the city will enforce it across the board, then we all lose.

An update. I been down to her house three times, two times no one answered and one other some other lady answered but didn't seem overly concern, she had said the home owner would return on Saturday (one of the days I went down there with no answer). I have yet to hear from the lady.

If the city does not allow chickens I would keep and or eat her chickens. If she wants to keep furnishing me with free chicken go ahead. No fowl no harm. Seriously it sounds like she should not keep the birds if she is not going to take care of them.

for me the 1st thing i would do is try to get them dogs in to my yard (bait them) then shoot them as far as the chickens once its safe for them to be free range (no pens cages excreta) let the chickens decide if they want to stay this will clear you if the lady tries to say that you stole her chickens...... this is just my opinion and what i would do and i know some will not like the shooting the dogs but you have a right to protect your livestock and the owners need to keep there muts on a leash

While yes it is legal in many areas to shoot a dog that IS attacking or threatening your livestock.. it is also highly illegal in many areas to bait and shoot a dog that is NOT harassing or attacking your livestock. There are also laws about using a firearm in a residential area. Suggesting that the OP bait dogs into their yard and then shoot them will get the OP in more hot water than they deserve especially when there are other ways of dealing with a "dog at large" who has not been found guilty of livestock killing or harassing. Just because someone's dog is running loose does not automatically make it guilty of killing chickens.

If you went to her property and took them yes, that would be stealing. They came onto YOUR property. Kind of a grey area there. If you keep them (which is what I'd do) this crazy lady will most likely just go get more birds. She obviously doesn't care about their welfare-I have to wonder why on earth she wants to keep doing this to those poor birds. If she wants to feed the area's dogs she should just buy a big bag of Ol' Roy dog food and leave it out. *sigh*

It's not a grey area at all. If you locate someone's animal and DO NOT attempt to reunite it with the rightful owner or turn it over to animal control and decide to keep it.. it IS theft.
Just the same as if it were a horse or cow or any other animal that showed up in your yard. Being a chicken doesn't lessen the legalities.

Re: stealing or not. I think the laws differ depending upon where you are located. I believe any lost livestock in my area can be considered mine if they do show up on my property. Although I don't think any of us would actually do that; as most of neighbors in my area are friends and help each other out.

ok.. lets look at it this way.. what if it was someone's prize bull or a horse that is worth in excess of 5K... do you honestly think that still holds true?
There have been numerous court cases where the "finder" was arrested and charged with theft because they did not bother to try to locate the proper owners. It's best to check with local laws just to cover your behind and not assume that "finders keepers" is legal where you live.. most of the time it isn't...

There are others as well.. just too many to list since every state seems to have some sort of law covering it (and if they don't then the feds take over).. but here are a few I found with a quick google covering "finding" stray animals..

http://equinelaw.alisonrowe.com/201...ty-if-the-owner-doesnt-show-up-to-claim-them/

"
Check the laws

To check on any relevant laws in your state, county, or town and contact your local animal control agency, humane society or SPCA Many times the animal you find along the highway will turn out to be un-owned, unwanted, and unclaimed. Even so, the person finding the stray dog or cat does not automatically become the owner or keeper until he has satisfied certain state and/or local requirements.
In almost every state, the animal is not "owned" by the finder until the holding period for strays (as specified by state or local laws) has expired and the finder has made an attempt to reunite the animal with his original owner and/or has taken steps—obtaining vaccinations, license, collar and identification tag—to prove he is now the owner."
from here: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/what_to_do_stray_pet.html#laws

Yinepu, that is why I stated "laws differ upon where you are located".
Also, like I said, it would be unheard of, where I live. In my area pets get out all of the time. ALL (literally) of the neighbors are friendly and work together.
Once, my dog broke off of his zip line on the 4th of July due to fireworks and ran to the neighbors across the road and they just put him in their horse's stall until we got home.
Many times, the neighbor's horses have gotten out and ran into our yard. We just help bring them back. It's the whole 'working together' thing, which I am lucky to have.

Quote:
I'd never even think about shooting a neighbor's dog where I live. We all get along but then again, I'd bring it back to that person's place and talk to them about it and they'd just try harder to contain their dog. I would try any measures necessary to take care of my own chickens, in this case, rather than make an enemy out of a neighbor and kill their dog. On the other hand, coyotes, raccoons, rats, etc are fair game. (again, make sure it's legal where you live before shooting anything!)

Last edited:
I didn't read anywhere that the dogs were rampaging. Seems to me the owner is the guilty party here. They were her dogs ( at least in the first instance) and her chickens and she doesn't seem to care or be responsible for either of them. Even if the second incident was with someone else's dogs, it sounded like her chickens got out. I don't have chickens yet, but one thing I've learned on here thus far is that, if you are going to be responsible for the lives of chickens, you need to do everything necessary to keep them safe. You can't rely on eradicating every single threat that exists in nature - you've got to provide them with a secure and protected place to live.

DeputyDawg, I think you have a big heart and are an honest person. I wouldn't fault you either way. You're in a tough spot. I think either decision you make is justifiable and neither would reflect badly on you.
Go with your conscience and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom