Chicken move

mailmamm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Rainier WA
I have a new larger hen house and planned to move my hens in during the night. Tonight I opened the new house and put some grubs in a trail and they walked right in. The two baby's I had to catch and put in with them. The littles are almost 8 weeks old so it wasn't too hard. My concern is did I do the right thing? I plan to leave them in there for a day or two while I remove the old house and fence replace the wall to their run with chicken wire making sure there is a hole for them to get into their run. The new house is about ten feet by five feet and I have 3 adults and two young chickens. Also going to put their water and food in with them in the morning like I usually do every day. Only difference is they won't get out for a day or two.

Update:Moved the old hen house and there were baby rats under it. Thankfully my cats were on duty. So glad the new abode is concrete floor and cinder block wall about two high around the sides.Now to be on alert for where the rats move next. Feed is all kept in galvanized cans.
Yikes!!

Saw a video where they moved a huge commercial hen house,
the numbers of rats that were living under there was insane!!

Chickens are fully transitioned. The big girls are able to come and go as they please but the two littles are still not wanting to leave the hen house. I'll keep checking on them but I'm sure they will figure out the new big world is great.

UGH! went in to lock up the chickens and when I turned the light on a large mouse or rat ran across my foot! So I put two sticky traps in corners. Also made some plaster of paris and cornmeal dough balls. The dough balls worked to get rid of the rats from the old hen house. Also removed the feeder, the food is in galvanized containers.

Back
Top Bottom