Chicken Moving Egg from Nesting Box?

ACoodleDoodleDoo

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2021
Backyard chicken first-timer. We got some pullets at the beginning of September and the first started laying on or around January 1st. Our coop and run are based on the photo, the nesting box is the box on the side, but the floor is even with the floor of the coop, the roost runs parallel to the window and on the other side of coop away from the nesting box. The box is 12x12x12 and we're using alpine shavings nesting liners for it, while the coop and run have sand. There were two eggs when we first saw that laying began (for some reason we missed the first lay), but the eggs were both just outside the entrance of the nesting box on the sand inside the coop. Alpine shavings were scattered in the coop (as well as a bowl of oyster shells that were left in the corner of the coop) and in the run, so she must have at least gone into the box because it was never disturbed before and that's the only place there are shavings.

I cleaned up the shavings, but she kept laying on the side of the coop where the box is, but outside the box on the sand/floor of the coop. After a couple of days, my dad built another nesting box inside the coop that used alpine shaving liner, so we had the nesting box and another box across from it, both on the other side of the roost. This time we found that she laid her egg in between the original box and the newly built box, on the sand/floor of the coop. Next, I put a golf ball in the original box to get her to lay there. The following day I found an egg and the golf ball between the two boxes on the sand/floor of the coop. I assumed that someone else must have moved the golf ball not knowing why it was there and after she had laid, so I moved the golf ball and the egg back into the nesting box. The following day, I found two eggs and the golf ball, again, on the side of the coop where the box is, but outside of the box on the sand/floor of the coop. I asked if anybody moved the ball or the egg and nobody did.

Saturday, I did a deep cleaning of the coop, took out the extra nesting box that my dad had made so it was just the original built-in side one, added some alpine shavings to the entrance of the nesting box where most of the eggs had been laid so that there'd be extra cushioning if she laid there again. I placed just the golf ball back into the nesting box. This afternoon (Sunday), I found, once again, an egg and the golf ball on the sand/floor of the coop but not even on the alpine shaving available on the floor of the coop so it was slightly farther away from the box than previously.

The only issue so far with laying on the sand is that there's sand attached to the eggs that needs to be cleaned off. None have broken yet, fingers crossed. But there was one day when she moved the sand enough that the egg was just on the bare wood floor of the coop so who knows if we will continue to be lucky.

Questions:
1) Is it possible and/or normal for a chicken to move eggs to where she wants to lay?
2) Since the eggs have so far been fine, should I be concerned that she's not using the box? Essentially, is it worth trying a different type of bedding for the nesting box?
3) Will this influence the other two chickens who have yet to lay yet?

Additional information: The chickens free range from about 10-4:30 and we live in California.

Appreciate any thoughts/input!

Attachments

• IMG_4983.jpg
    IMG_4983.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 56
Hmm. A chicken has to stand up to lay her egg. I think it is possible your nest is too small to allow that to heppen although I could be wrong. It seems to me your hen is trying to lay her egg in the box but it is not working for her. She sits in it and rustles around trying to get comfy, kicking the golf ball out in the process. Then as she tries to lay her egg, she stands up, and PLOP, out falls the egg, outside the nest, right there with the golf ball.

That's my thinking. Let me ask @aart and @Eggcessive if they concur. Both ladies would have a better idea than I about the proper dimensions for a nest box, and both are honest enough to disagree with me if they think I am wrong.

Edited typos

We need photos of the actual boxes, to see the interior of the boxes. Chickens CAN move eggs but without photos my guess is your boxes don't have a high lip (if you can, measure the height of your lip - 3" is about as low as you'd want) and the chickens are simply going in, kicking the fakes out to where they want them, and then laying there.

Sand actually is a perfectly fine substrate for a nest box, so you may want to try it. Dunno if it'll convince your layer to move or not. I do insist my birds use the nests for ease of egg collection and cleanliness, but with new layers, they may try different spots while figuring out how this whole process works.

My nesting boxes are milk crates that measure 12"x12"x12", and my full sized birds have no problem using these every day.

I used thin plywood for the bottom that extends out about 4", and added a 3" lip on the front and sides to keep the bedding in place.

I also put a piece of metal siding, bent in the middle, to form a steep peak to keep the girls from bombing the nesting hens with poop.

See attachment .....

View attachment 2008175

Your nest box setup is cute!
I have hens that want a dark covered nest to lay in. My nests are big full cube squares with a small hole cut on one side of front panel and a small " curtain" over opening. The top lifts for collecting eggs. Some times 4 girls will be in one box laying eggs together! They always lay in their nests boxesand lay above average.
It may be worth a try to add some privacy for them.
20201101_121457.jpg
20201101_121504.jpg

Attachments

• 20201101_121632.jpg
    20201101_121632.jpg
    715.7 KB · Views: 11
We need photos of the actual boxes, to see the interior of the boxes. Chickens CAN move eggs but without photos my guess is your boxes don't have a high lip (if you can, measure the height of your lip - 3" is about as low as you'd want) and the chickens are simply going in, kicking the fakes out to where they want them, and then laying there.
This^^^

Have you seen her lay them and how big are your nest boxes?
I did catch her on the sand near the entrance not realizing what she was doing - again, newbie. I thought she was just being weird not out with the other two. It didn't click until later that she was the layer.

This is the inside of the coop and nesting box. The egg from today is there on the sand. I don't have a lip on my box, so I think I'll try adding one tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4985.jpg
    IMG_4985.jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4984.jpg
    IMG_4984.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 11
I did catch her on the sand near the entrance not realizing what she was doing - again, newbie. I thought she was just being weird not out with the other two. It didn't click until later that she was the layer.

This is the inside of the coop and nesting box. The egg from today is there on the sand. I don't have a lip on my box, so I think I'll try adding one tomorrow.
Add a 1x3 to the bottom of the box entrance, chickens like to mold a nest for them selves, so they kick a lot to make a bowl shape. they're probably kicking the eggs out.

Back
Top Bottom